Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Focal asymmetry & nipple inversion

Options
cess75
cess75 Member Posts: 3
edited February 2023 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

hello! I’m a 47 year old mom to 3 teens! I just had my yearly mammo a few days ago. It was my 4th one. Previous ones all had been great. I don’t have any symptoms that I’ve noticed. Except a couple years ago I had slightly bloody discharge from my right nipple. Ended up having it removed and it was an intraductal papilloma. At my most recent mammo, it showed a 1.4cm focal asymmetry on my left breast at the retroareolar region with possible nipple inversion.

My main question is, I’ve never, ever noticed nipple inversion. Is it possible that is misdiagnosed on the mammo?

I’ll soon be going for the diagnostic mammo and u/s.

Thank you!

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 890
    Options

cess75, It's possible that the nipple inversion could be due to compression technique if it isn't visible to you. The focal asymmetry is worth getting checked out, however. While in many cases it turns out to be nothing, the diagnostic mammo and ultrasound will give a clearer view of the area and a more accurate diagnosis. Best wishes for a benign result!

• cess75
    Options

Thank you!! I was curious if the compression could make it look inverted. Never had seen that on any of the previous ones I’ve had. But, a few years ago, someone misread a mammo and said that I had calcified implants. I don’t have implants! Had that corrected and a new report written after a different radiologist read it!

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 890
    Options

That's the first time I've ever heard of someone who didn't have implants being told they had calcified implants. I guess radiologists make mistakes, too!

• cess75
    Options

Right? It was the most bizarre thing! I’m barely a B, so when they said that, I joked saying I’d been ripped off!