Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Post Lumpectomy Breast Changes

Options
breastcancerpartner
breastcancerpartner Member Posts: 26

Has anyone experienced any changes in breast appearance post Lumpectomy. Like darkening of nipple and peau d'orange appearance? Is it normal and expected?

Comments

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

The breast will change in a variety of ways after surgery. If you have concerns, you really need to speak with your surgeon. Good luck.

• morwenna
    morwenna Member Posts: 204
    Options

It is not unusual to have a reduction in lymph drainage in the are following surgery to the breastband lymph nodes. Swelling in the breast often results in dimpling and there can be a dusky colour or even mild redness and warmth.

*If infection has been ruled out* this can be addressed quite effectively by manual lymphatic drainage (MLD) techniques. Here's quite a good video showing how to do this.

Bear in mind it should be done on bare skin and she looks a bit heavy-handed. The pressure of your hand is "like stroking a kitten", or just enough pressure to move the skin, as you are trying to stimulate very superficial vessels that are easily compressed.

I was a UK trained physiotherapist, and specialized in oncology rehab and lymphedema following my own breast cancer treatment in Canada.

• morwenna
    morwenna Member Posts: 204
    Options

Sorry, a couple typos in my message, but a firewall blocked me when I tried to edit! 🙄🙂