Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bi-Rads 5 Limbo

Options
hollygolightly88
hollygolightly88 Member Posts: 7

I started having symptoms back in November - burning type pain & nipple discharge. I guess because of my age (34) & because the symptoms would come & go it was easy for me to blow it off. I also have no family history. Last month I realized I had a small scab on my nipple that had been present for weeks & no injury to explain its existence. I guess it sounds silly that it took me so long to realize that I had no reason for it to be there but I suppose because it was so small it was easy for me to dismiss. I also realized my nipple would retract when my arm is lifted. I started to connect the dots & Dr. Google convinced me to make an appointment with my ob/gyn. She examined me & referred me for a diagnostic mammogram, prescribing an antibiotic to take in the meantime in case it was an infection. Yesterday I had the digital mammogram & ultrasound. The radiologist determined it was abnormal, Bi-Rads 5. My lymph nodes are enlarged & there is a single mass in the 1:00 position tracking towards the nipple 2.1 x 2.6 cm. My biopsy is scheduled for Monday. Yesterday I just kept googling because all I want is answers. I feel like I could deal better if I just knew.. but ofc there isn't going to be any answers until biopsy results are in. I'm trying to just make my peace with that. Sorry for the novel.. any & all support or advice is greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 336
    Options

The uncertainty and waiting are among the hardest part of the beginning. Monday will be here soon, and typically biopsy results don’t take too long. Should it indeed be cancer, knowing the specifics of the tumor will set treatment plans in motion. One thing I have come to appreciate is that finding ways to distract yourself. Take a walk, watch a funny TV series, enjoy a good meal.

I’m one year out from my diagnosis. I was looking over everything that happened, and remembering how many different times I waited on results, appointments, or decisions. In hindsight, things went pretty fast.

It’s smart to be informed, and it’s important to balance that focus on information with enjoying good days. I’ll be thinking of you on Monday. Let us know how it goes!

• hollygolightly88
    Options

Thank you so much for your kindness & advice. I will keep you posted.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

Hollygolightly88, we're so sorry you find yourself here with this worry. The waiting is so hard! We second what Sarahmaude said, finding something to distract you and keep your mind occupied until Monday will help. Please do let us know how it goes, we'll be thinking of you!

The Mods

• hollygolightly88
    Options

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. I hate that any of us have a reason to be here but I'm glad to have found a supportive community. <3

• hollygolightly88
    Options

For the most part during the day I do okay although sometimes I'll be completely fine & then think of something & start crying. It makes me feel crazy & like I'm overreacting. I'm trying to be kinder to myself & remember it is a big deal & it's okay to not be okay. I called my ob/gyn office (I don’t have a primary care doctor) today to see if they can prescribe me something for anxiety especially at night because I have such a hard time sleeping. I just want something really low dose for a few days until I get the pathology back. They prescribed trazodone & I didn’t want to complain but years ago I took it & it makes me feel groggy the next morning. I honestly want Xanax but I’m scared to ask because I don’t want to sound like a junkie lol. I don’t want it forever just a few low dose ones to get me through this. I have anxiety normally & have left it unmedicated but this is just more than I can handle. Just wanted to get my thoughts out & vent.

• hollygolightly88
    Options

It really helps to know that what I'm feeling is valid. I don't know why I'm so worried about ho it's perceived. I'll just ask the worst they can say is no! Thank you <

• dutchiegirl
    dutchiegirl Member Posts: 76
    Options

So sorry to hear you're in this position. It's a challenging time for you. As others have said, the waiting is the most difficult part. I always felt better once the issue was addressed and a care plan was implemented. And yes, definitely ask for Ativan - I can't imagine your doctor saying no. I found it took the edge off and helped me to sleep as well.

This is a great community and, if you do need us, we'll be here! All the very best to you!

• tntnsd
    tntnsd Member Posts: 124
    Options

So sorry that you have found yourself in this waiting. It’s hardest for many of us. Definitely ask for Ativan (I did , and my doctor was more than happy to give me that because she knew it would help to keep my mind sane while waiting).

I hope you have a someone you can share your worry with, and a support person in case you need to go with all your appointments. I hope it is benign result for you; however with birads 5, it could be not as we wish, in that case , please find comfort that it is very very likely in early stage. and many treatments available nowadays for bc. There is absolutely easier once you know that what to deal with.

Hugs

• hollygolightly88
    Options

Thank you all so so much for your kind words! It really helps to have people to talk to who have been here. I am single but I have my mom & stepdad & a few good close friends. Funny enough my ex husband has been a huge support as well. I’m not alone & I am so grateful for the support I have to get through this.

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 336
    Options

I definitely appreciate all the different kinds of support I get through each phase of treatment. Friends and family who were there were so important. Medical providers who are simultaneously supportive and excellent at their jobs were vital. Online community support opened a window to the strength of others who were ahead of me provided wisdom, valuable advice, and information. That combined with real friendships and ways I could laugh even on my worst days has created a bond to my mostly sisters plus at least one male survivor here that keeps me checking in even when I’m feeling well enough and having a normal enough life I could almost forget what happened last year.

You are on my mind hollygolightly, and while I hope you are cleared next week, want you to know that I’m here to support you if you end up in treatment.

• cozyrad
    cozyrad Member Posts: 29
    Options

I haven't been in that specific boat ( I'm awaiting additional imaging) so I can't claim to know how you feel, but I'm thinking of you and am so glad you have family support in addition to this amazing community. I'm in my 30s too and have found that when I get overwhelmed but can't get my mind off cancer stuff there are some great insta accounts with info and memes geared toward the under 40 crowd and they help me a lot.

• calinana4
    calinana4 Member Posts: 14
    Options

hollygolightly88,

just checking in to see how things are going for you. Hoping you got some good news

• hollygolightly88
    hollygolightly88 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Thank you so much for checking on me! Unfortunately on Feb. 15th I was diagnosed with IDC grade 3, HER2+, Ki67 85%. It has been a whirlwind of information, doctors, appointments, insurance, phone calls, etc since then, as I’m sure you well know. Thankfully everything seems to be moving along quickly as I’m eager to begin treatment. I appreciate your concern & hope you are well! <

• calinana4
    calinana4 Member Posts: 14
    Options

Best of luck with your treatment plan. I’m 2 years out from diagnosis (grade 3 also, 3/5 lymph nodes, stage 2B) and promise, it does get better

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    Options

wow. It sucks. I'm sorry. My diagnosis was almost identical and while I was a little older than you, I was still quite young for breast cancer.

The bad news of course is that you were diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer. The good news though is that a study a couple of years ago showed that it's now considered one of the most treatable forms. Herceptin and Perjeta (two of the drugs they will use) are truly miracle drugs for HER2+ cancer. In fact, the first thing my surgeon (an older guy who had been doing breast cancer surgery for a long time) said to me was “20 years ago this would have killed your." Uh… thanks?

There is a small thread of us in the community here. The thread isn't super active because the diagnosis is only 4% of breast cancer types and we generally have good outcomes — as in 95% cure rate if you respond well to treatment, which we mostly do. There is a group of us who keeps an eye on it though if you want to pop in and say hi.

Treatment will suck. But it probably won't suck as much as you think it will — although that's mostly because we have overactive imaginations and the media has skewed the image of chemo in the modern age. Good luck. Keep us posted. The fear and anxiety is awful. It will be better once you start treatment, but it will stick with you and every lump, bump, cough, and ache could send you spiraling, especially on bad days.

Melissa

here is the community thread for the sub-type: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/80/topics/767013?page=230#idx_2300

here is the article that calls itone of the most curable versions: https://dailynews.ascopubs.org/do/more-tolerable-cures-patients-early-stage-her2-positive-breast-cancer-halfway-precision