Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nervous and Frustrated no diagnosis yet

Options
britt2kick
britt2kick Member Posts: 5

So back in December I started getting a pain in my armpit that slowly radiated towards the underside of my breast. Me being me just thought I pulled a muscle or whatever. Well in January I noticed some discharge a few times once seemed to be clear and red which then got me a little worried. My husband stated that my nipple was discolored.

So we started into the process of seeing a doctor. I just moved states so I do not have an OBGYN and the PCP that I saw a few times no longer was in network.

I first called multiple OBGYN’s to see if anyone could get me in relatively soon considering my symptoms and concerns all of which said no the earliest appointment I could find was in June which I made just in case.

I then started calling PCP’s and was having similar problems. So I called my insurance who told me to go to the emergency room. So I did, which was a mistake and luckily an RN saved me my 200 dollar copay because they would have referred me to a dr outside of my network to get a prescription for diagnostic testing.

literally feeling helpless my husband and I sat in the car cursing for about an hour. We called insurance back and got a dr lined up that I have to call on Monday to try and get an appointment. Meanwhile the pain is a little worse and now my nipple is inverting.

I debated not even posting but I am scared, frustrated, and my anxiety is so high. My husband has been the most amazing support and I feel like I am failing. I am 38 with no cancer in my family that I am aware of, but dr google, which is a horrible place, makes me think this is a more serious problem than I originally thought.

Comments

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    Options

I know it’s hard, but even if it does turn out to the cancer — which it probably won’t —- a breast cancer diagnosis is not an emergency. I first noticed a lump in April, realized it was noticeably bigger in June, finally saw my OB/GYN in early July, and started treatment in August. My timeline is pretty typical and nobody ever treated it like we were in a big rush or like we were losing time.

It’s probably not cancer. It rarely is, especially for women under 50 with no family history. But just try to remind yourself that even if it is a cancer you have time. Try to stay off Google. Try to distract yourself and do whatever you can to help with the anxiety — walks, meditation, yoga, and maybe find a mantra or something you can repeat to yourself if you start down the rabbit hole.

Good luck.

• mle42
    mle42 Member Posts: 124
    Options

Stay off Dr google (I know, easier said than done), and keep calling doctors. As Melbo said, and my doctors all told me, breast cancer is urgent but rarely an emergency. That said, if I was in your place I would be going crazy, too, and waiting until June to be seen is not appropriate. Regardless of the ultimate diagnosis, you're in pain and need to be evaluated and treated! Keep pushing your insurance to locate an in-network doctor who doesn't have a waiting list, even if you have to drive a ways to see them. In the meantime, remember that most painful breast conditions are not cancer, and indulge in your most favorite distracting activities.

• cozyrad
    cozyrad Member Posts: 29
    Options

I'm so sorry. I'm the same age and although my symptoms aren't identical, I'm in a similar boat with diagnosis/answers taking months. I've been on this anxiety merry go round since September and it's no fun, especially when you're constantly having to make calls to advocate for yourself. I'm so glad you have a supportive husband to help prop you up through this. I know it's difficult to stay calm and distracted through the wait. Finding new shows to binge, this forum, and getting outside have helped me cope through this period. I hope you can find something that helps you, too, and that you are able to get the care you need without waiting much longer.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,306
    Options

I have found many times that when you have very concerning symptoms but can't get into a PCP's office very soon (or don't want to wait so long), going to urgent care can really help. Sometimes the ER is "too much" and you're there for hours while they run every test under the sun. Urgent care can often be at least reassuring and give you some idea of what's going on, and if it looks more serious and/or urgent, they can then send you on to the ER.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your appointment. Fingers crossed that it is not serious.

• britt2kick
    Options

It is a relief to hear this is not just me. Not that I am happy anyone has to go through this as it is a pain. thank you for your kind words and helpful ideas

• cozyrad
    Options

Thinking of you! Hopefully you're able to get an appointment set up today. 🤞

• britt2kick
    Options

Thabk you.

After a struggle this morning of back and forth with insurance and the PCP’s offices I finally have a start. Dr apt tomorrow they wanted to rush me in

• cozyrad
    Options

That's awesome! It's never fun to have them feel like you need to be rushed, but I'm so glad progress is being made. I hope all goes as well as it can tomorrow. Thanks for keeping us updated!

• cozyrad
    Options

How are you doing, britt2kick? I hope your doctor's appointment went well and you're getting closer to answers.

• britt2kick
    Options

Doctors appointment was helpful and overwhelming.

I am having to do soo many labs plus the US and Mammo. When I called the place for the Mammogram they already got the order from my dr and said they needed to see me soon due to symptoms and Dr.s notes. So in next week is when all that takes place. thanks for the support

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    Options

I’m glad you were able to see someone and that appointments are lined up. I hope it turns out to be nothing or something benign. Good luck

• britt2kick
    Options

So had my mammo and ultrasound, have an apt with Dr on Wednesday, but the radiologist is suggesting an MRI.

What does the MRI do?

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 386
    Options

In simple terms an MRI will give a much clearer picture of what your breast looks like on the inside. It's notorious for false positives by itself but combined with a mammogram and ultrasound it can give a very clear picture of what is what.