Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Invasive mixed cancer

Options
Gemma12
Gemma12 Member Posts: 100
edited February 2023 in Mixed Type Breast Cancer

I posted on newly dx but figured this thread may be more relevant.

Wondering if anyone has expierence with Invasive Mammary Carcinoma with Ductal and Lobular features? I was dx yesterday after a biopsy last Friday. The cancer is grade 2. This isn't my first go with bc. I had IDC 7 years ago. I had successful surgery, radiation and took tamoxifen for 4 years. I stopped the tamoxifen because of side effects. I don't know the hormones status of this new cancer so I don't know if stopping the tamoxifen played a roll in the new cancer. My PCP told. me this is a new primary cancer dx, not a recurrence. I see my surgeon on the 27th so I have a couple of weeks to just sit with it. There doesn't seem to be much info online about this type of cancer. Only thing I could find is that it's rare -- making up just 3-5% of cancer dx. After 7 years I was very comfortable in the fact that cancer was in my rearview mirror. I definitely didn't have this on my 2023 bingo card!

~Amy

Comments

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    Options

There's a thread on mixed types here somewhere, but I haven't seen it in awhile. Mine was initially designated as mixed from the biopsy, but the post-op pathology said lobular. Maybe my IDC was tiny and taken in the biopsy.

• sarahnh
    sarahnh Member Posts: 105
    Options

Mine is mixed. My medical records call it "Invasive ductal carcinoma with lobular features", "Invasive carcinoma with ductal and lobular features", etc. I think verbally the Drs have just called it mixed IDC and ILC. I'm so sorry you're going through this a second time!

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 752
    Options

There is not much activity in this forum and it's true you can't search for much about mixed type. I am also mixed sub type IDC-L. It is treated same as IDC. Beyond that, I don't know. One study says we have a worse prognosis, but I feel that's only true since there's not many of us so it obvious with only 3-5% our overall survival rate will not be the same as the many with straight IDC. An older study I recall reading said mixed patients had higher chance of 2nd primary. So sorry this is your 2nd time. It is the same breast? I have LCIS in my right breast. Cancer was in the left.

• Gemma12
    Gemma12 Member Posts: 100
    Options

Hi, thanks for your reply. This tumor is in the same breast (left). The right breast has never had an issue. This is the 3rd spot on the left one that has misbehaved. I think it's time for it to go! I received my hormone info. I'm ER +, PR + and HER2 -. I think I read the same study you did. It stinks because I am an information junkie and there isn't much to research. I did read that secondary primary cancer dx in breast cancers are usually in the other breast, but rarely can be in the same breast . I guess I'm a rarity this time around! I'll have to be patient and just wait to see the surgeon on the 27th without the opportunity to get smart about my dx on my own.

~Amy