Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can I get pregnant after a stage 4 bone mets diagnosis?

We only have 1 beautiful little girl and I was pregnant with #2 and lost it during my cancer journey. That baby is greatly missed and we would love to have another baby of our own to love. I am 36 and we have been married 5 years, 3 before diagnosis. I have extensive bone mets. Has anyone ever had,heard of,or know anything about getting pregnant after a stage 4 diagnosis?

Comments

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,076

Hi! First, let me say how sorry I am for your loss. I certainly understand your desire to grow your family.

I think your question is better answered by your Medical Oncologist and Gynecologist/Obstetrician. Your situation is unique and definitely falls in a gray area. You are in need of advice involving 3 people, you, your husband, and your "future" child. It isn't just the bone mets, but the medications you are on and your health

Your oncologist knows you and your medical condition. i would ask for a consultation visit with him or her and make sure your husband can be with you. If the doctor doesn't seem helpful or isn't on board with your plan, make an appointment with another oncologist for a second opinion.

Remember, you have a precious child and wonderful husband, so regardless of whether or not you can have another child, you can have an amazing future with your family!

If the doctors are not in favor of you getting pregnant now it doesn't mean you can't grow your family in the future.

Wishing you the best as you move forward. Just don't forget to remind yourself of what you already have and how lucky you are! You have much to be thankful for! I have a feeling you are a wonderful mom!

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,569

Well, as a point of anecdata, I was offered egg retrieval and future IVF when I was diagnosed Stage IV de novo, bone only, with 100% ER/PR driven cancer. I remember staring at the doctor thinking you cannot be serious, did you read my notes? The nurse also gave me the 'double up on contraception' discussion before I started Ibrance and I seem to vaguely recall her mentioning they did in fact have ladies become pregnant even with ovary suppression and on those meds. I dont have children and never wanted any, so it wasn't a tough decision, but when you are diagnosed so young the equation changes. I echo what mavericksmon said above about consulting with your doctor, though I would be prepared for a less than supportive conversation.

• mosche83
    mosche83 Member Posts: 1

Hey! I'm sorry you are in this situation. Mine is kind of similar, so I can relate. (Mbc at 37 with a baby and a toddler and was hoping to become pregnant again, then was diagnosed with bone mets).

Are you in treatment at the moment?

My oncologist told me it is possible to have a baby, even being metastatic, but you need to be off treatment for at least 7 month before becoming pregnant and during the pregnancy to make sure the baby is not influenced by the medication. So at least 1,5 years without treatment. She said, that would be too dangerous, the risk of progressing to high. I'm still not really over the wish of becoming pregnant again, but for now I put it on hold and try to be thankful for my little family and my treatment working.

Wishing you all the best!