Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Long hard ridge in breast

Options
hopingforthebest1991
hopingforthebest1991 Member Posts: 9
edited February 2023 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hi all

I really can use some words of encouragement right now. I'm 32 and I've convinced myself I have breast cancer. I am currently breastfeeding my 2 year old. However I have a large hard ridge like line in my breast. It extends almost from my nipple to my outer breast tissue and recently you can see it through my skin, like a bunch of tiny lumps. The only way I can think to describe it is a long hard ridge in my breast.

I've had an ultrasound while breastfeeding about 6 months ago which came back clear but I've convinced myself they've missed something. However I'm having a hard time finding anything online about anyone dealing with anything similar. I'm freaking myself out. Please help.

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 883
    Options

Hi Danielle, When I was breastfeeding many years ago I would occasionally develop mastitis, an infection or blocked milk duct which can be treated by antibiotics. It presented in different ways each time, sometimes with pain, swelling, redness or just a hard lump. I would recommend making an appointment with your doctor to have this checked. If it's something else you also need the help of a medical professional. I hope you can get this cleared up soon.

• hopingforthebest1991
    Options

Unfortunately I don't think it's that. I feel fine and it's painless albeit maybe a little sore from prodding at it. My mind keeps going to possible Lobular cancer ... it's literally a string of lumps and feels ridge like in my tissue. Its swollen too so you can see the line protruding from my breast.

• maggie15
    Options

If that's the case you should make an appointment with a medical professional and get it looked at. You can't tell if something is cancer by how it feels or appears. Dr. Google is not a good diagnostician and generally causes needless worry. I hope you can get the process for checking out the abnormality started soon.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,791
    Options

danielle,

Dr. Google is a very bad diagnostic tool and we are not medical professionals. Regardless of anyone else's personal experience, your best course of action is to make a doctors appointment. I know this is worrisome but no type of diagnosis, lobular, ductal or something completely benign can be made via Google and it can lead you down some paths which have absolutely nothing to do with your situation. Please make an appointment so you can get some information about your unique situation. Take care

*maggie and I were posting at the same time but as you can see, we concur !

• hopingforthebest1991
    Options

Thank you! I have an ultrasound scheduled for March 10th.

• maggie15
    Options

Danielle, I'm glad you have an appointment for an ultrasound coming up. I hope things go well.

• hopingforthebest1991
    Options

hi all,

I had my ultrasound 1 week ago, but haven't got results, despite calling the doctors office. It's the weekend now so I won't be able to try to make contact again until Monday.

The long hard ridge is still in my breast , although less prominent. But if I really feel for it, especially in the mornings, it swells up. Any ideas if fibro breasts can do this? The few stories I could find similiar to mine all had bad outcomes.

sorry I'm just spiraling here. My husband just says I'll be fine, but how could he be so sure when I keep feeling this prominent hard vein in my breast. it's like, what else could it possibly be?! I already feel devastated and I haven't even received the results yet.

• maggie15
    Options

Danielle, We all want answers quickly but in the breast diagnostic world things move slowly. Sometimes it takes multiple tests and way more time than we would like to finally get answers. Hang in there and go with the process before deciding you know what the problem is. We sympathize with the stress of not knowing. Stay in touch and all the best!

• hopingforthebest1991
    Options

Thank you for your response Maggie. Well I received a letter in the mail that said ultrasound detected no significant abnormalities. But this morning the lumpy line is back, and more prominent than ever. I just don't understand how an ultrasound wouldn't pick that up? I'm really going to try to wean my 2 year old from breastfeeding in the hopes that it resolves itself. I can't shake the feeling that I'm being misdiagnosed. I mean, this long lumpy line runs from the top of my breast all the way down to my nipple. It also moves slightly when pressed so I'm uncertain if it's my actual breast tissue or a separate mass.

• maggie15
    Options

Hi Danielle, I'm glad that the ultrasound found no abnormalities but you are wise to be a little bit concerned. If weaning your child doesn't help I would make sure your doctor keeps a close eye on things. Imaging catches most problems but rarely it doesn't. I'm a bit biased since my bc was not detected until two and a half years after architectural distortion was seen on a screening mammogram but not visible on all views at recall. I had two and a half years of BIRADS 2 results until my oral surgeon was convinced I had cancer (long story) and suspicious calcifications showed up in the same location on the next mammogram. The radiologist who did my biopsy even pulled up my previous mammogram (which he had scored BIRADS 2) and was shocked that there was a good sized tumor in the original AD location.

After my lumpectomy which showed numerous radial scars in the margins I found out why. These very rare benign lesions are caused by inflammation and can hide nearby cancer from mammograms, ultrasounds and MRIs. I have been told that going forward a thorough manual breast exam by an expert every six months is the best way of finding a local recurrence in my case (back to the good old days!)

Your situation is different from mine and over 99% of people with bc have it picked up by imaging, so don't spend time worrying about it. The delay in diagnosis pushed me up to stage 2 but the prognosis for that is still good. Enjoy life with your young family and don't obsess over the possibility of something that probably isn't there, but have your doctor check things at regular appointments. Best wishes!

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 279
    Options

Look up “Rope Like Lump in Breast” on Google. My breast is full of these. You cannot self diagnose from Google, but you may find this reassuring until all your tests are done. All the best

• hopingforthebest1991
    Options

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I'm glad to hear you're doing well. I keep trying to remind myself of the clear ultrasounds, but the lump/rope in my breast is just a constant reminder that something isn't right. I may head back to the doctors tomorrow. thank you so much for chatting with me!

• hopingforthebest1991
    Options

Hi! Would you mind sharing a little more details on the rope texture you feel? I almost feel like my long rope isn't connected to the rest of my tissue? But yet it extends all the way from an inch above my nipple to my outer breast and DOES seem to follow my natural tissue.. but its like that part is 3D if that makes sense?! idk its weird..

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 279
    Options

It’s totally 3D. It doesn’t blend in at all with the rest of the breast tissue. But it has soft and definite edges. They run from nipple outwards and can be lumpy. The reason I am sharing is that so many breast changes are benign. I am hoping you have enough reassurance to breathe now and sleep, but not enough to stop seeking answers. No need at all to panic