Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Skin discoloration, visible veins, etc

Options
cozyrad
cozyrad Member Posts: 29
edited March 2023 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hi, all!

I have another old thread on here, but this question is a bit different.

Have any of y'all had gradual visible skin symptoms show up with a confirmed mass that was unrelated to inflammatory breast cancer specifically? The mass was found in early January during a diagnostic mammogram, which was my first so I have no idea how long it has been there (it hasn't been biopsied yet, they're watching and waiting). In Mid-January the area started looking bruised, and now there's an indentation and some focal skin dimpling. Research has been futile because even peer reviewed academic papers tie these symptoms almost solely to inflammatory breast cancer vs breast masses (malignant or benign), and since the symptoms I have started gradually this doesn't sound concordant with inflammatory.

I'm going to talk to my doctor the next time I can get in to see her (around a month) but if anyone has anecdotes regarding visual changes related to a breast mass but not related to IBC specifically it could be helpful in the meantime to prepare for the appointment, so I can best advocate if by chance the symptoms are written off as being unrelated and unworthy of further investigation (it happens a lot in my area where prior authorizations for tests take many weeks and nobody wants to deal with them). Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just want to clarify, I'm not asking for medical advice, nor do I think I have ibc specifically. The area in question has a confirmed 1.3 cm hypoechoic mass with internal vascularity under it, making IBC itself unlikely. I have an appointment with my physician, but she isn't available for a month.

This isn't a "do you think I have inflammatory breast cancer" question but instead a "have you seen these types of changes happen happen with a mass" question.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

Have you actually called your doctor's office yet? Or the radiology office/clinic? I recommend you start with your doctor. Any of our anecdotes are not really going to be helpful. Good luck.

• cozyrad
    Options

Of course I've called the doctor's office. She just isn't available for a month (she teaches in addition to practice.,) I haven't been able to talk to a radiologist about the new symptoms yet because I haven't been able to get a new referral since the initial imaging when the mass was discovered, prior to these new skin symptoms. I mention this timeline in the original post.

I'm not expecting medical advice. I am just wondering if anyone else has had these particular symptoms outside of *inflammatory* breast cancer specifically. I don't think that's unreasonable (it looks like it fits the guidelines from the mods in the pinned threads.)

• mountainmia
    Options

No offense intended. It wasn't clear to me if the appt in a month was one you already had set up, and you were just going to wait until then, rather than call and ask for a sooner one because of the new symptoms. Pardon me that I wasn't clear about my misunderstanding. I understand your concern.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,761
    Options

cozy, I think almost everyone here knows how worrisome this period of time can be as you wait to find out what’s happening. The problem with bc, even IBC, is that symptoms are often variable. Also please remember that those who turn out not to have bc often don’t come back to write that or if they do, that is their last post as there’s little point in hanging around a bc forum when you don’t have bc. Does that make sense? I know you want to find comfort in the stories of others and waiting is awful, but be persistent (Does your doc have a cancellation list?) and patient. Take care

• cozyrad
    Options

No offense taken. I just wanted to be clear for anyone with similar experience who may be willing to chime in. It's lonely, especially when you have trouble finding answers and insurance takes a long time to process referrals. I've been on the investigation road since September with one breast and January with the second, so I appreciate anyone's time.

• cozyrad
    Options

It does make sense. I'm sorry I created a new thread and bothered anyone. I thought it would be more clear to have a new thread because the other one talks mostly about the opposite breast, and I didn't see anything against it in the mod threads, since this is a different issue. As for the game thread, I was very sleepy and didn't realize which category it was in. I only replied once with one word and it was a mistake.

I apologize for wasting anyone's time with my question.

• cozyrad
    Options

I wish she had a cancellation list. I tried. The receptionist swore there weren't any dates available until June and no use in getting on a cancellation list so I left a message for the PA and got the soonest spot available. I'm trying to be patient but I've been on this path for 6+ months with more questions than answers so far. I didn't mean to bother anyone. Thanks for being kind.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,761
    Options

cozy,

No apologies needed, no time wasted. It’s simply that it isn’t likely you’ll get the anecdotes you’re seeking because those who are not dx’ed don’t come back here. I wouldn’t either if I didn’t have bc ☺️. Take car

• cozyrad
    Options

For sure! My question wasn't for benign masses specifically, just any breast mass with gradual skin symptoms that was not diagnosed in association to *inflammatory* breast cancer. Obviously most people who have proven benign lumps won't be hanging around. I wouldn't still be here either if I knew I was clear.

We're not yet sure if my left side mass is malignant or not because my govt coverage is conservative with biopsy approvals unless the radiologist assigns above a 4a (and the rad I saw is notoriously bi-rads 3 heavy), so I'm still in limbo until these new symptoms are investigated and I finally get a biopsy. Either scenario could apply at this point, so I'm taking both into consideration until I know for sure.

I was just curious, because if there are sometimes ties between surface visible skin symptoms and vascularized masses I'd like to be able to bring that up should I be dismissed. My doctor herself is pretty great, but when it gets to prior authorizations you tend to have to argue and self-advocate (at least in my state.) Hopefully my intention is clearer now and maybe someone with that experience will chime in and help put another arrow in my quiver, because navigating the medical bureaucracy and restricted access to care alone is tough and a bit scary even without adding new symptoms on to the list. 🙂 I appreciate any guidance or support from anyone and I hope everyone has a great night.

• mountainmia
    Options

Thanks, wrenn.