Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Wrapping with gauze only?

lanna1
lanna1 Member Posts: 16
edited March 2023 in Lymphedema

Hello,

I have mild lymphedema in hand and fingers. I wear a glove and a sleeve during day. I would like to wrap my fingers and hand at night. Is it ok to wrap it with just gauze and no bandages? I don' t have much money for bandages.

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 817

lanna1, There are special gauze bandages with elastic in them (Elastomull is one brand) that are meant for lymphedema. My husband used them after elbow surgery. There are various sizes including one for fingers and toes. I ordered from an online company (bandagesplus.com). They are a cheaper (but less durable) solution. Insurance will cover compression wraps starting January 1, 2024.

• lanna1

Thank you, Maggie.

Yes, I've heard there is lymphedema elastic gauze. I've seen YouTube videos of wrapping hand with it:

https://youtu.be/FcKshmA4Pl4

Is just the gauze doing the job? Or I must put beige bandages over it? (I've seen that in another video.)

I don't live in USA, so I pay for everything unfortunatelly. Hope I can do the job with the white gauze and no beige bandages over it?

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 817

Just the gauze with elastic is fine for compression and is cooler. Putting beige bandages over keeps the gauze cleaner if it might get dirty. DH just used the elastic gauze bandages and was careful to keep them clean. I hope this works for you.

• lanna1

Thank you so much, dear Maggie!