Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Okay to get a breast ultrasound during or right before period?

Options
hamster_fan
hamster_fan Member Posts: 18
edited March 2023 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Besides breast pain and tenderness I mean. I know that you should get mammograms at the beginning of your cycle because near the end of you cycle your breasts are denser. But I know that ultrasounds see through dense breast tissue better. So is there any reason why one should schedule a breast ultrasound at a particular time during one's cycle, or can you do an ultrasound at any time?

I've seen some things saying that it's better to schedule ultrasounds at the beginning of your cycle but the only reason they ever cite is breast pain.

Okay so in this study they say you should get it done in your follicular (postmenstrual) phase, but if I'm reading it correctly it says that of 145 lesions detected, 6 appeared in premenstrual but not postmenstrual and 6 appeared in postmenstrual but not premenstrual. 123 appeared in both. So why do they recommend one over the other if the results were the same? Am I misunderstanding? Anyone who is good at reading studies know?

https://www.alliedacademies.org/articles/changes-in-the-size-of-breast-lesions-during-menstrual-cycle-observed-by-ultrasound-an-initial-study-8070.html

Comments

• flashlight
    flashlight Member Posts: 311
    Options

I would check with your doctor. Years ago, I could not have an ultrasound just before or during my period because of fibrocystic breast. The hormone changes during the menstrual cycle affects breast tissue. I don't think it is a good idea especially if you have dense breast as I do.

• hamster_fan
    Options

Thank you! I'll do that. I hate to wait (it's just before my period) but I want the most accurate result so if I have to wait that's what I'll do.

• hamster_fan
    Options

Yes you know my mom (nurse) just read the study I posted and she said that they talk in the discussion of the study about how there's more water and inflamed tissue and stuff during and right before your cycle so it's best to do it a bit after your period. I was just looking at the numbers. So you're right! Thank you for the response :)

• cozyrad
    cozyrad Member Posts: 29
    Options

This is a great question! I've been wondering the same thing. I'm going in for a second diagnostic ultrasound right before my period is supposed to start and they can't reschedule until many more months out. 🤦 Hopefully I can get them to spend a little more time to be thorough. Thanks so much for posting the study with your question! Best of luck to you. 🙂

• hamster_fan
    Options

No problem! Yeah it might very well be fine, in that study at least most of the lesions showed up on both. And like I said, 6 lesions showed up post-period but not pre-period, and 6 lesions showed up pre-period but not post-period!