Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Hello! Really worried about IBC, have recurrent abscesses.

kellosaurus
kellosaurus Member Posts: 2
edited March 2023 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

hello, I’m 33 with 8 kids! Anyway I’m just gonna get into it, starting in 2021 I was exclusively pumping for my baby and started getting what I would call skin abscesses on my breasts. Talked to my doctor about it, he called it a skin infection and sent me on my way. I have been getting these off and on since then, I have seen multiple doctors that are just like I dunno, keep it clean. Then a week and a half ago I got a really big one, it swelled half of my breast, and I asked to see a different doctor. She took a culture and it did come back positive for bacteria, so I did the round of antibiotics prescribed and it’s mostly better. There is no swelling, the bump has pretty much disappeared.

She requested that I get an ultrasound and mammo since I’ve been getting these so often, and now I’m flipping out. I have rather large breasts and I noticed like veiny spots on the underside, and I can’t even remember if I had them before or not so of course, I think it’s IBC. I keep getting like little “shocks” in my breast and while there isn’t what I would call pain in my armpit I have like an awareness of it that makes me think somethings wrong.

I need help. 😂 Has anyone diagnosed heard of frequent abscesses for two years without it really progressing? Thanks In advance.

Comments

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,946
    edited March 2023

If it was IBC without treatment, you wouldn't be here after two years. Sorry to be blunt, but please trust your doctor.

• kellosaurus
    kellosaurus Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2023

well, that's why I'm posting, because she keeps mentioning it could be something inside my breasts and when I mentioned you don’t think it’s inflammatory breast cancer do you, she said “well that's what we're hoping."

But I thought the same! And I appreciate your bluntness.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,549
    edited March 2023

kellosaurus , sorry you are here and worried about your breast health, but glad you found us!

As alicebastable says, and as you can read in our main site, "Most of the symptoms of inflammatory breast cancer develop quickly — within three to six months". You can check the entire article and learn more on this type of cancer and it's symptoms here: Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC)

We hope this helps ease your mind! Also, we are happy to hear that the infection is responding to antibiotics, that's definitely a good sign!

Please keep us all posted as to how things go for you. And let us know if we can be of any help.

Best,

The Mods