Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Sub pectoral tissue expanders

Options
cancerian
cancerian Member Posts: 11
edited March 2023 in Breast Reconstruction

HI all i finally opted for bilateral mastectomy which was done on 3/20. The flap perfusion was not great in the affected breast so plastic surgeon decided to place TE's below the muscle. It day 4 and i in so much pain still from the surgery have to take pain meds round the clock.

Anyone have a similar experience? does the pain ever go away?

Comments

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,221
    edited March 2023
    Options

My expanders were also sub-pectoral and I needed narcotic pain meds for about the first week or so. I could then move slowly and use Tylenol from that point, only using Rx pain meds right before bed. After the first couple of weeks my discomfort was manageable and by five weeks I felt pretty normal. I stopped using any paid meds at all prob by week three? Hang in there.

• snm
    snm Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hi, I had my BMX in Feb '23 with sub pectoralis tissue expanders. I'm about 6 weeks out now and still with rib pain discomfort - requiring ibuprofen (starting from bra line down to end of rib cage on left side). I suspect the pain is from the tissue expander. I find myself having to stretch my arms and chest frequently during the day as if I sit at computer for couple hours my entire chest is so stiff. I have 1 more fill left and can't wait to get them out this May.

The pain after BMX with TE was terrible for first 2 weeks. At week 3 I felt like I could manage better but still required pain meds (Tylenol/ibuprofen around the clock). The recovery definitely was rougher than expected and more challenging due to immobility and back spasms.

It gets better but not normal for a while.