Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Unilateral mastectomy and reduction

Options
hilaro
hilaro Member Posts: 1
edited April 2023 in Breast Reconstruction

Hi - I’m newly diagnosed and after meeting with my surgical oncologist, I had pretty much decided on a unilateral mastectomy with implant and with a reduction on my left side. I met with the plastic surgeon yesterday and he explained that I would need to go the expander route, but he also said the reduction on the other breast wouldn’t take place until 4-6 months later when the implant was placed.

I’m really upset with the prospect of having two breasts that are very different sizes for that time. I’m currently a DDD and would like to go to C, which the PS agreed with.

Has anyone of a similar size gone through this gap and would be able to talk to me about their experience?

Thanks

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,907
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi hilaro, and again, welcome to Breastcancer.org! We are sorry for what you're here, but glad that you reached out.

While you connect with other members here in the discussion forums, you may want to join also some of our weekly virtual meetups. It can be a great way to ask your questions and get real-time responses, as well as hear about others' experiences about surgery and reconstruction. More information here: Topic: Prepping for Reconstruction? Join us on Zoom.

Hope this helps! Good luck with everything and keep us updated on how you're getting on.

Best wishes,

The Mods

• ratherbesailing
    ratherbesailing Member Posts: 118
    edited April 2023
    Options

Oh, yes, I've been there. I know it is disappointing. Insurance should cover prosthetic breast forms to even out the breast sizes until you can get your final surgery. While your temporary implant is being expanded you might consider lightweight forms that are filled with cotton. You just remove the cotton a little at a time as they fill the implant and your mastectomy side gets larger. There are also silicon forms that are quite natural-looking, and even forms to withstand salt and chlorinated water. And there are many terrific mastectomy swimsuits, including from Lands End.

So it is far from ideal. But try and remember it is only temporary. Hope you get wonderful results in the end.