Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Being rushed for a biopsy, worried!

bananarani
bananarani Member Posts: 6
edited April 2023 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hi everyone,

If this comes across as "all over the place", I apologize. I had my very first mammogram last week as I just turned 40 this past December. I got called back. Completed my diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound and the doctor is worried. She rushing a biopsy for tomorrow and results by Monday. My head is spinning. No family history. No smoking or drinking. I am a good BMI. But I chose not to have kids. I didn't know that was a risk factor until today. She said it doesn't look good but she's been wrong before. Any words of advice or comments are much appreciated.

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,811
    edited April 2023

Hi bananarani, and Welcome to Breastcancer.org.

We're so very sorry for the worries that bring you here, but we're really glad you've found us. You're sure to get great support here from our amazing members!

Keep in mind that 80% of biopsies turn out to be benign -- so try to stay positive until you have more information. Until then, try to keep yourself busy. We're all here for you!

Please keep us posted with the results.

Sending hugs!

--The Mods

• bananarani
    edited April 2023

Thank you! I am just so scared. Forcing my husband to mow the lawn with me today to keep busy.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 813
    edited April 2023

bananarani, While the timing of the biopsy has caused concern, you will get the results within several days rather than having to wait and worry for longer. The mods gave you good information and advice. Best wishes for a benign result!

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 732
    edited April 2023

Do you see a birads number on your mammogram results?

Birads 5 means the doctor thinks it's cancer, but it needs a biopsy to confirm. Birads 4 means the doctor thinks it's not cancer, but it needs a biopsy to confirm. Birads 4 is sometimes subdivided into a, b, and c, with statistically increasing odds of cancer.

Mine was 5, though I didn't know what it meant until after my diagnosis. I was 38. It was scary and stressful. But I made it through the initial treatment and I'm making it through the hormonal treatment, and I am hoping for the best.

Cancer detected based on routine imaging tends to be early stage, which is treatable. Most women with early stage cancer go on to die of unrelated things.

Hang in there! Hoping for benign results for you!

• bananarani
    edited April 2023

Hi Salamandra,

Yes, my birads was a 5. I had my appointment today for my biopsy results. Unfortunately, I came back positive with Breast Cancer. The full pathology report isn't ready yet, we are waiting on the hormone part.

My nurse navigator went ahead and made an appointment for a MRI this coming Monday. After that, I have 3 appointment on May 1st. The first appointment is a consultation with a surgeon. The second and the third appointment is for genetic counseling and bloodwork for genetics.

Clinically, I am a stage 1 but that could change when the rest of the pathology report comes back. My tumor is 15 mm or 1.5 cm and they don't think it went into any lymph nodes. During my surgery, they will remove a few nodes to biopsy and study them.

I see that you were diagnosed as a stage 1 as well?

Thank you for the kind words. I am only 40 so this is all a little surreal.

• salamandra
    edited April 2023

Hello,

Yes, that sounds pretty similar to my situation. I think it the tumor showed as 1.3cm on the biopsy and ended up being 1.8cm on final excision. (Head's up that it might look bigger on the MRI but the doc said that's because the area was distorted/inflamed from the biopsy).

It was definitely surreal. But I was overwhelmed by the amount of support I got from my friends and the number of people in my extended circle that shared their own breast cancer experiences with me, including women younger than I was. Not everyone wants to share on facebook, but for me it was definitely one of the best things I've done.

I watched my mother die of breast cancer and the beginning was completely terrifying. I actually ended up buying a cemetery plot in the week and a half between my malignant pathology and my first surgical consult. But starting from that surgical consult I felt like I could breathe again. There was still fear and anxiety but it was manageable, even the interminable waiting for the next results thing.

It sounds like you have a good set up with a good medical team.

I remember feeling so damn unlucky after the initial diagnosis, but actually in the long run I was pretty lucky. My diagnosis stayed at stage 1, I didn't need chemo, and I (eventually) found hormonal treatment I tolerate fine. It's still an ongoing source of hassle and stress (right now I'm having some discomfort near my surgical site that I'm low key scared is a recurrence, and it took me a week to request an appointment with my oncologist's office), but it's manageable. And the older I get, the more of my friends are dealing with one form or another of medical issues in an ongoing way.

Hang in there and I'm glad to chat through anything that feels like it might be helpful. Where are you located?

• WC3
    WC3 Member Posts: 658
    edited April 2023

Bananarani:

Sorry you've had to join us. I was diagnosed in my late 30s. I know you are probably terrified right now but things do get easier once treatment gets underway.

• bananarani
    edited April 2023

I am located in the U.S., more specifically Northern Kentucky. A short 15 minute drive to Cincinnati, Ohio. Where are you located? So far, our cases sound very similar.

Do you ever worry about aches and pains? I have a pre-existing neck and shoulder injury. It doesn't bother me all the time. I went back to work for the first time in a week yesterday and it really flared up. Makes me worry and think it's spread. They assured me it's small and on an ultrasound, nothing shows up in my lyph nodes so it's probably my mind messing with me. For example, I was extremely fatigued yesterday but before this diagnosis, a week ago, I felt great.

Sorry if my messages seem all over the place. I am still getting it together lol.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,163
    edited April 2023

Florence, y’all!! I’m originally from Mariemont. Just thought I’d say hi. And it does get better once you have a plan.

• bananarani
    edited April 2023

Thank you Spookiesmom! Nice to see someone local on here. Me and my husband have been doing a ton of research and wondering if we should get a second opinion. I trust my team but wonder if there's something that I could be missing. 🤔

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,163
    edited April 2023

Never hurts to get a second opinion. There is a lot to learn and do. Some hurry up and wait, but it does get better. I’ve been in Florida for 39 years, so not exactly local😂😂. Will you be going to Cin for tx Im sure your area has grown so much I wouldn’t recognize it.

• salamandra
    edited April 2023

I'm in NYC.

I hadn't worried about aches and pains for a while but this year I started to get some around my lymph node biopsy site and now on the side of my breast. I made an appointment to see my oncologist's office.

I do get worried also around the time of my scanning.

Most of the time I don't think about it much. I also am single and don't have kids, which makes some things harder but probably some things easier as well.

• rnjen
    rnjen Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2023

Hello. Your situation sounds pretty similar to mine. I am 44 and no children. I did however have a family history. I am Stage 1A ER/PR + HER2 -. I will tell you that things will start to move quickly after diagnosis. Write down your questions and concerns and take them to your doctors appointments. I would leave my appointments and remember things I would want to ask after the fact because I would be so anxious. There is some relief when you get a solid plan with your healthcare team. Its the not knowing and not having all of the information that is the hardest part. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. I was diagnosed last October and am now currently recovering from my implant exchange 4 weeks ago.