Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Headed to high school reunion

Options
nopink2019
nopink2019 Member Posts: 384

In a few weeks I will be attending my 50th high school reunion. Haven't been to one since 10th. The class was large , but I have a small group of BFFs . My hair has grown back from chemo, but it's still very short and curly /frizzy, instead of straight. It's also totally silver where before the last round of chemo it still had light brown . So I'm not even familiar with how I look yet . After many years of AI, I have an excess of wrinkles . BFFs will all have my back . That's what gives me the courage to go . I don't think I will need my portable oxygen concentrator , but I will have a squirt can of oxygen in my purse in case I get weak or have a coughing jag due to my lungs mets. I've been very open about my diagnosis and would find it hard not to describe myself as having metastatic breast cancer . While MBC will not be something I lead with, I'm sure it will come up with a few folks. Given the ignorance surrounding that term I'm not inclined to go into detail with anyone. But if I hear "you'll be just fine" I might lose my cool . Give me some good comeback lines, ladies. And wish me a lot of luck turning my back and walking to the bar for another drink . Haha!

Comments

• lilyfrombeppu
    lilyfrombeppu Member Posts: 29
    edited April 2023
    Options

I was very interested to read your post. I will be having my 55th HS reunion at the end of June. Unlike your class, mine was very small and I have attended our reunions for many years. Oddly, my hair went from a very light gray / white to a mottled mess of grays and many shades of brown. It's all different lengths so last year I just used a headband. At this point there's not just I can do with it. Also I had acute liver failure back in September and lost 25 pounds so I don't always recognize the face in my mirror.

I'm sorry that I do not have a good comeback line for you. Everyone knows that I have MBC and that I may fizzle out early. The thought that stayed with me as I was talking to classmates and friends last year is that at our age so many others have health issues, many very serious, or have lost loved ones. I hope that there will be enough good folks there and few of the other kind for you.

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 296
    edited April 2023
    Options

Nopink2019

For a little shock value, how about "So you consider dead fine"?

You are a few years younger than me and I stopped going to reunions after the 50th and before I was Stage IV. So glad that you have a posse of BFFs who will be there for you. Remember that you have all of us here cheering you on as well!

Please post after the reunion and let us know how it goes.

Eleanora

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 210
    edited April 2023
    Options

nopink2019

Oh, I can only imagine. My first thought would be to throat punch the person, then realizing that's probably not anymore appropriate than the comment of "oh, you'll be fine." How about using the wonderful euphemism, of, "well, bless your heart," which in the south means something more like, how stupid are you? Sending you big hugs. Go and enjoy yourself. If someone says anything, ask them if they're ready to trade places with you then? See, i don't react well to that sort of ridiculousness....

• nopink2019
    edited April 2023
    Options

kotchaj- from the South so I totally understand "well, bless your heart". I will keep it in mind, might come in very useful. I also like the idea of let's trade places, except we may be old enough that almost everyone is having either a heart stent or a joint replacement. I know they're not as life-threatening, but still a pain.

• nopink2019
    Options

I attended the reunion. It was great! At our age no one is trying to impress anyone. Everyone was so nice. Some knew from friends that I have cancer, but just good wishes. If you are considering going to yours, I'd say GO.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,016
    edited April 2023
    Options

nopink, I’m happy to hear your reunion went well. Imo, those who are still around for a 50th reunion have no doubt experienced some difficulties along the way, be it with their health, finances, relationships, etc., and it tends to make people more compassionate and understanding. Oh, and grateful to still be around! Good on you for going and having a great time! ☺️

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 210
    Options

nopink,

So glad to hear that you went and it went well! And glad that those that were there were just happy to be there.