Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pelvic ultrasound question

Options
dani444
dani444 Member Posts: 215

Hey I just wanted to get someone else’s opinion. I just had a pelvic ultrasound done for some irregular bleeding,pelvic pressure and pain. I am 4 years on tamoxifen. It was done in my GYN’s office and was told the doctor would read it. I asked if it would be sent to a radiologist and they said no. It worries me with my history of lobular that something could be missed. Would you ask for it to be read by a radiologist or is this normal for just the GYN to read it? My anxiety of course tends to spiral when faced with any testing so I just wanted some thoughts from this community that understands!

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 869
    edited April 2023
    Options

dani444, Ob/gyns do read ultrasounds (pelvic and sonograms) since they get training and make treatment decisions as it relates to this focused area of the body. Radiologists read them as well but they have to deal with all body parts so they are not experts in any one area unless they work at a large hospital where they specialize. My breast surgeon was able to point out evidence of my tumor on three previous BIRADS2 mammograms; she didn't blame the three general radiologists who missed it since the signs were subtle and she explained that she had an advantage since she looks at nothing but breast imaging and gets to see how it corresponds to what she views during surgery.

You could get a second opinion from a radiologist if your ob/gyn can't explain your symptoms or doesn't mention the relevant imaging items (endometrial lining thickness, presence or absence of polyps.) You would have to get the second opinion from somewhere else (doctors in the same hospital don't do rereads) but you could choose a radiologist who specializes in gynecological imaging. If you are not satisfied with the answers it is worth it to get peace of mind. I hope there's an easily treatable explanation for your symptoms.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited April 2023
    Options

If I was you, I would get the Ob/gyns opinion on the ultrasound and then take the ultrasound for a second opinion. Tamoxifen does create problems with bleeding and uterine thickness and what you have may be from 4 years of tamoxifen however, we ILC patients get worried since recurrences happen after many years. Let us know what you'll find out and best of luck!

• dani444
    dani444 Member Posts: 215
    Options

I got a call from the office on my results. She stated that everything was normal and they would see me in a year. I just obtained the actual report and it states my endometrial thickness is 10.44 mm with few cystic Changes. So I guess all is well. Thank you all for listening and responding. I appreciate you.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 869
    Options

dani444, I'm glad you got good news. Thanks for letting us know.