Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
What part of day-to-day life during your breast cancer experience has been most challenging for you? Take our poll.

carnivore diet

ata
ata Member Posts: 7

Hello I just wonder if anyone from you is or was on a carnivore diet before, during or after the breast cancer diagnosis.

I would like to hear from you.

Ata

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,139

ata,

Your question is a bit unclear at to me. Do you mean did any of us eat meat or is there something specific called the carnivore diet?

I would venture to guess that many, if not most, of us ate meat prior to our dx and many of us still do. Can you be more specific in terms of what you’re looking for?

• ata

the carnivore diet for me is to eat and drink only the animal products, no plants whatsoever, not even tea or coffee, I would minus the dairy products too. Only fresh animal fat, meat, animal organs, fish an broth to drink.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 747

Carnivore diet as I understand it is a diet made of all or nearly all animal products - to the exclusion of grains, vegetables, oils, nuts, etc.

I did keto for a while after diagnosis to lose weight, and I am trying to continue on low carb. I had a very brief experimentation with carnivore, but I just didn't enjoy meat enough to keep it up - at least not the meat meals I feel capacity for preparing.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,139

Thanks for the explanation! You learn something new everyday 😊

• buzzbomb
    buzzbomb Member Posts: 45

I eat a meat based diet but do include very small amounts of carbs….a few berries, occasional nuts, a bite of veggie here and there. I’m certainly not dogmatic about it. I have one cup of coffee and I do eat some dairy (butter, heavy cream, cheese). I never eat sugar or sugar substitutes, seed oils, and grains. I was low carb before diagnosis and very low carb after.
    will it help…who knows, but I feel great and I’d rather do this than take tamoxifen…..

• ata

I wonder for how long time you do low carb/keto diet and do you want to continue it or at some point you just give it up? And what do you do with the parties and the celebrations? Do you have a one day break or something else?

I started carnivore diet 3 months ago and all of my pains and aches almost gone away or at least gone down about 90%. I was desperate because nothing worked for me, the only the "tantalizers" "worked" but you probably know how they work.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,417

Honestly, a fascinating conversation. We too are learning! 💡

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 747

I find the keto subreddit quite helpful. There are people there who have maintained it very long term. Many of them are doing it for weight loss (like I did) but others are doing it for relief of other symptoms.

I have a friend who does keto on and off for about half a year at a time. I think he does it for weight maintenance.

I am not exactly tired of it, but there are foods I do miss. Passing up on friends' home cooked foods can be hard, and going out to restaurants is not nearly so much fun. I have not managed to maintain it as strictly as I would like, and my weight is a bit higher than I would prefer (though still fine).

My current goal is to keep 'cheating' for special occasions - e.g. my friends' homemade from scratch pasta ok but my work meeting oreos and chips no. I also don't try to keep it when I am traveling since food is a pretty important part of travel for me, and carb binging is something I'm more likely to struggle with at home than on the go.

My challenge is that I don't love cooking and I don't love meat. I think if either one of those were true it would be a lot easier, especially since I think that a big factor in the healthiness of keto is the higher protein level.

• buzzbomb
    buzzbomb Member Posts: 45

ata, I stopped eating sugar around the same time as my diagnosis. Before that I was low carb but did have some sweeteners. Oddly, I consider myself lucky as I am allergic to wheat and gluten so I just can’t eat things like bread, pasta, sauces, etc. it’s absolutely not tempting to me BUT I do understand how hard that would be. I have recently been diagnosed as diabetic (damaged pancreas from previous illness) so I must eat zero to very low carb to maintain lower blood sugars and remain unmedicated. My main focus is to not take medication unless it’s absolutely necessary. As my pancreas continues to fail I know it will be an eventuality but I’m fighting every step of the way. Of course, another reason is the studies showing a clear relationship to sugar and cancer. I’m not totally convinced but I’ll use myself as an experiment, and I really have no choice with the diabetes.

I quite enjoy my high fat, moderate protein diet and feel amazing. At 66 I am strong and vibrant.

I said before I wasn’t dogmatic about strict diets. If you really want your friends special pasta…eat it. Life has far too many surprises for us and nothing is guaranteed….enjoy the little things but stick with a plan that works for you.

• ata

Thank you lades for the encouragement and the advices. I am sorry buzzbomb for your troubles with your pancreas, it must be hard on you. I am terrified that if I start eating any plant again, all of the pains will start again. For the special occasions, maybe I will be strait forward with my guests or the hosts about my diet, I think it will work better with me. Wish me luck with it.