Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Periods after Chemotherapy

Options

Hello, want to know if/when your periods restarted after chemotherapy. I completed my chemotherapy on March 15 and my periods haven't started yet. I am receiving radiation therapy currently.

Comments

• margecandoit
    margecandoit Member Posts: 135
    Options

I have been of chemo 7 months now and mine hasn’t return. My GYN doesn’t think it will come back. I was 46 when I started chemo but she did say it could come back so I am going to have a hysterectomy.

• hn
    hn Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2023
    Options

margecandoit - Is having hysterectomy your choice? Or the doctor recommended?

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    Options

I was 42 when diagnosed and my period stopped immediately after I started chemo. A little over a year after finishing chemo my period came back. It’s super irregular — but my pre-chemo period without hormonal birth control was also super irregular, so I assume I’m more or less back to normal for me.

My oncologist told me during the first year that chemo probably knocked me Into early menopause, but apparently not. Since I couldn’t take hormonal birth control anymore and IUDs wouldn’t work for me (tried and failed) my husband got a vasectomy. I would give it time and see what happens — but I would not assume that you are past all fertility unless you get tested.

• margecandoit
    margecandoit Member Posts: 135
    Options

HN- my Dr recommended it and I agree. I don’t want anything coming up later In life and not being strong enough to handle surgery. I guess if it comes back can also depend on age. The younger you are the more Lilly it will come back.