Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Spring surgeries

Options
2»

Comments

• devoinaz
    devoinaz Member Posts: 40
    Options

One more thing I'll share here. I went clothes shopping today for the first time since becoming flat chested. It was super interesting and actually pretty fun. I can wear some styles now that I never could before, and I actually bought a new summer dress that I like a lot. :) One of the women working in the store was a breast cancer survivor, too, so we bonded over that.

• flowergirl1975
    flowergirl1975 Member Posts: 57
    Options

Hello Everyone! Hope you all are doing well:) I received my bra from The busted Tank and love it, so thank you for that. I liked it so much I bought a couple more!! The fabric is very soft.
    @devoinaz did you do the icing mittens and socks during your chemo treatments? Is that something they have at the cancer center or do I need to buy them? My first chemo is June 30th so I want to be prepared. I am back and forth on the cold capping. Seems like a lot of work and it also adds more time being at the cancer center. I am leaning towards not doing it but haven’t made a final decision yet. I mean I can get some really cute wigs, my hair will grow back.

• bennybear
    bennybear Member Posts: 245
    edited June 2023
    Options

@flowergirl1975 glad you like it! I am going to order more too. I’m finding I don’t t like anything on my chest.
    I appreciate the info on chemo on cold capping. I won’t know until the oncotype comes back, but goood to be prepared.,

@devoinaz. Glad you found a dress you like!

• devoinaz
    Options

@flowergirl Yes, I did the icing mittens and socks. They didn't have them at my cancer center - had to bring my own, which required a cooler and extra ice packs to replace the mitten ice (it got warm for me about halfway through - I just used regular ice packs that I had in my freezer for replacement).

And yes, the cold capping does add a couple of hours each time, which isn't the best. And wigs could totally be fine and even fun! Or nice scarves/beanies. Some women even rock the bald look and that can look really good, too.

I heard from a friend that for her, the hardest part of chemo was becoming bald. I think this influenced my decision on the cold capping. I also really have appreciated not drawing attention to my health situation with the way I look. I stand in front of groups of people regularly in my job, and I think I would have been pretty self conscious if I had been bald.

It's interesting to me that I'm thinking I'll just be flat chested most of the time going forward, and I'm less concerned about how that will look... I think it's because (1) being flat is less obvious than being bald, and (2) I'm finished with active treatment now, so I'm not otherwise weak and sick-looking.

Anyhow, best of luck to you on the 30th! I hope your treatment goes really smoothly and you don't feel too bad!

• flowergirl1975
    flowergirl1975 Member Posts: 57
    Options

Hi ladies :-) Thanks for the info on the icing mittens and socks. I will have to check them out. I have decided to do the cold capping (dignicap for me). I ordered my hat today. I spoke to the nurse and yes its going to add 45 min before my treatment, 3 hours during my treatment, and 2 hours after my treatment. I envision myself feeling like I am stuck in a freezer while doing chemo treatments… LOL. I will only have to do this 4 times so I guess I decided it was worth a try. Did you just constantly loose a small amount of hair with each treatment? When treatment is done for me Im not really sure how I will feel about reconstruction. Its a lot to think about for sure.

• devoinaz
    Options

Yes on feeling like you're in the freezer during chemo - bring a good blanket!!!

On hair loss, I lost a huge amount around the time of my second treatment, and that week accounted for most of my hair loss for the whole chemo experience. So if you lose a lot around 3 weeks in, don't think that you'll be bald by the end. The hair loss is not constant.