Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pregnant with cancer- what to expect chemo

Options
rdreisin
rdreisin Member Posts: 2

Hi All,

I am currently recovering from my mastectomy while 26 weeks pregnant. I received my diagnosis while 12 weeks pregnant. My doctors are planning to start me on TC chemo a few weeks after giving birth (they are inducing me a month early).

I am worried about how chemo side effects will impact this very special new time with my newborn. I will be going through treatment my entire maternity leave essentially. Would love to hear more about what to expect and see if there are others who have gone through something similar. Will I feel well enough to hold and care for my baby during those first few months? (I have a husband who is wonderful but just don’t want to miss out on being able to enjoy this special time too).

Thanks ,

Rafaela

Comments

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 367
    Options

I didn't find T/C particularly horrible. There were horrible moments for sure but I was able to work and keep doing my household duties throughout my treatment. I think the biggest will be to make sure you can sleep. Rest is going to be vitally important for your body to recover. Being up at night is probably going to be beyond you. But changing some diapers? Holding and feeding your little one? Even bathing? Yeah. All that has a great chance of happening if you have the same reaction to chemo that most of us do. And congratulations! I wish it was a less complicated congratulations of course and that you didn't have cancer treatment to consider but your new baby can be a lovely distraction and I hope that's exactly what occurs for you.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,911
    Options

Dear Rafaela, we are sorry you had to come here under these circumstances, but we're glad you found us. Welcome!

Besides this forum, we wanted to recommend you our young women with breast cancer forum, where you can meet others who have been diagnosed at a young age and/or while pregnant. We thought it would be particularly helpful in your situation.

Also, you may like to read up on our main site content about Being Diagnosed During Pregnancy.

We hope this helps! Please, come back to let us know how you're doing. We're here for you! 💗

The Mods

• moderators
    Options

@rdreisin Here's also a helpful list of Tips to Get Through TC. We hope this helps!

—The Mods

• moderators
    Options

@rdreisin There is also another new young member here who was recently diagnosed while pregnant. Perhaps you two could connect? @tnbc33

• thespartan
    thespartan Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi Rafaela. I was also diagnosed with tnbc at 13 weeks pregnant. Had 8 cycles of chemo while pregnant. Had a c/s then bilat mastectomy. Am currently on adjuvant chemo. I delivered a healthy baby boy who is 6 months now.

This whole experience turned my life upside down in seconds! Its terrible.