Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Claritin or Zyrtec for bone pain?

Options

Starting chemo tomorrow and wondering which one you recommend for bone pain?
I’ve read from some that they recommend regular Claritin but the nurse mentioned Zyrtec was the drug used in the study. She didn’t discredit Claritin however

thoughts?

Comments

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 210
    Options

Hi justagalwholoveslife-

My understanding as to using an antihistamine is that it is inflammation and it helps with that. My oncologist recommended good ole Claritin, but try the Zyrtec. I used the generic and it did help my bone pain. So did hot baths with Epsom salts.

• justagalwholoveslife
    justagalwholoveslife Member Posts: 46
    Options

Thank you!

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited May 2023
    Options

Loratadine (Claritin) has research showing it to have potential for reducing mortality from breast cancer.

"Results: 

We found a consistently improved survival of desloratadine users (HR = 0.67; 95% CI 0.55-0.81, 

p < .001), as well as of loratadine users (HR = 0.80; 95% CI 0.67-0.95, p = .012), relative to nonusers, regardless of patient age, menopause, estrogen receptor status or stage of the tumor, or whether breast cancer-specific or overall survival was analyzed. The survival of users of other antihistamines varied relative to non-users."

(I don't know how to show that as a quote other than putting quotation marks around it. We used to be able to do so, I think. Apparently not now.)

Edited to say, I guess it works but sure is not obvious. Why hide the function that way?

Link to the article here:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32459128/

I use Claritin (store brand) daily because I have allergies, but also because it could be just the edge needed to reduce my risk.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,940
    Options

Hi @mountainmia,

To quote text now, you select the text to quote, and then on the left side of the text box, you will notice a paragraph symbol to the selected text.

If you click on the paragraph symbol, it will bring up text formatting options (as pictured below). Click on the icon with the quotation mark.

Quoted text will now appear this way. This is an example for purposes of demonstrating in this comment. The quoted text has a grey bar/line to the left of the entire text block that is quoted. You may notice while typing the quoted text that instead of a paragraph symbol, it will show a symbol of a quote to the left of the text editing box, which confirms you are indeed quoting text (in addition to the grey bar/line that indicates this). Once you move to a line that is not being quoted, you will see the paragraph symbol to the left of the text editor box again.

This is different than the option to quote another user's comment, which is found below their comment, as in the visual provided below.

I hope that is helpful!

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    Options

I am not sure if Claritin or Zyrtec is better. I took Claritin and did not have bothersome bone aches though. Good luck with your treatments.

• yippeekiyaymf
    yippeekiyaymf Member Posts: 25
    Options

I had grastofil injections during chemo to get my WBCs going. I used claritin and my nurse suggested I use it early in the day before I had the injection and it works best that way—- I also took over the counter pain med and using a heat pack was so great- good luck!

• justagalwholoveslife
    justagalwholoveslife Member Posts: 46
    Options

thank you for the information and insight!

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 336
    Options

My oncologist recommended Zyrtec, and it worked well for me to reduce bone pain. I also have allergies year round and since Claritin isn’t helpful for those, I went with Zyrtec. I believe I remember one of the nurses telling me that the bone pain is caused from histamine in bone marrow responding to chemo effects, so in theory either will work.

Post-chemo, I’m back on my generic version of Allegra. Still sneeze loud enough to frighten my dogs a couple times a day, but it’s the best choice as of now.