Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Acupuncture treatment for lymphedema

Options
dontwantthis
dontwantthis Member Posts: 17
edited May 2023 in Lymphedema

Hi everyone,

I had a dmx and ended up with lymphodema under my breast and to the side area. I went for manual massages, but it didn't help.

Recently I had to have ablat flap and the lymphodema area is quite painful.

I'm wondering if anyone is going through this and what has helped. Also, has anyone tried acupuncture for their lymphodema?

Cheers,

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,907
    Options

Hi dontwantthis,

We're so sorry to hear of this uncomfortable side effect. Lymphedema can definitely be debilitating. While you wait for others to respond, we hope you'll take a look at our page on Lymphedema Treatments to help give you some ideas to manage.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you find!

—The Mods

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 853
    Options

dontwantthis, I have breast lymphedema from radiation (I was OK after surgery) and tried acupuncture. The acupuncturist used a technique developed in Japan post WW2 for radiation exposure and it helped reduce the swelling some. I still do the manual drainage massage and exercises so it won't get worse. Compression hurts the nerve damage in the radiation field so I don't wear any bras or garments which some people find helpful.

My husband had severe lymphedema in his arm after elbow surgery and visits to the LE therapist did no good. What worked for him was photobiomodulation therapy where infrared and far infrared lights stimulate the cells. Some people have had success with low level (cold) laser therapy; some chiropractors use them. This is one of the lingering side effects of treatment without a good remedy so it's a matter of trying things. I hope you can find something to bring relief.