Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Port insertion and removal

Options
nmystic
nmystic Member Posts: 1

I had breast cancer and when they put my port in I had taken 2 pills for anxiety because I have a diagnosis of severe anxiety and they wouldn’t agree to put me to sleep I didn’t tell them and when they gave me the medicine to make me groggy I was lucky enough to pass out. Now I have to get my port removed and again they will not agree at Crozer Hospital in ChesterPA to put me to sleep. I’m afraid because of my anxiety I will jump up when they pick up their tools to cut me what if those 2 pills don’t work. If I am conscious I cannot do it. What can I do? Please help me.

Comments

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    Options

When I had my port removed, they put a type of "hood" over my head so that I couldn't see what was happening. Once they deadened the area to remove the port, I didn't feel anything at all. I'd say just take your anti-anxiety meds and tell the doctor about your fear. It really wasn't a bad procedure at all in my experience. Good luck.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,958
    Options

Great advice from lw422. They should be able to get you comfortable with anti-anxiety meds. We're sorry you're so anxious, and really hope for you to have a smooth experience.