Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lumpectomy and bra wearing post surgery

Options
tinacap77
tinacap77 Member Posts: 6

I had my lumpectomy and sentinel node two weeks ago and have been wearing the bra they put on me after surgery 24 hours a day with only taking it off for showers. How much longer will I have to wear it at night?

Comments

• flowergirl1975
    flowergirl1975 Member Posts: 54
    Options

hi Tinacap77! When I had my lumpectomy I was told I only needed to wear it for 2 weeks. Have you had your post op visit yet?

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,940
    Options

I only had to wear my surgical bra for two days. After that, I switched to a zip-front sports bra (with a folded child's sock over the incision), which I wore for three weeks. My surgeon was very pleased at the lack of swelling, so I guess it was a good choice.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,766
    Options

Tinacap,

What were your surgeons instructions regarding how long to wear the surgical bra? Regardless of what others have done, the best person to answer that question is your doctor. Take care

• clars
    clars Member Posts: 40
    Options

My paperwork says to wear my bra (I had to provide my own front closing bra!) for three weeks. But yes as exbrnexgrl says above the best people to advise will be your medical team.