Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Big thumb, help please

Options
lanna1
lanna1 Member Posts: 16

Hello,

Doctor bandaged me. All my fingers became smaller, but my thumb became bigger! Please help. I'm very scared. Do you have an idea how to solve this? How to bandage this not to happen? Why this happens?

Comments

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    Options

Hello Lanna. Sounds like you got some fluid back-up in the thumb. Did your doctor wrap all your fingers except the thumb? At any rate, you need to learn how to wrap your own hand… all fingers and thumb. It's not hard but does take practice. The main thing is to not wrap too tightly, and to learn how to do it properly. It would be best if you could get a LE therapist to show you how to properly bandage yourself. Once you get the swelling down you can get fitted for a glove that will help control swelling in the hand. I know it's uncomfortable but it is manageable. Take care.

• lanna1
    edited June 2023
    Options

Dear Lw422, thank you. The doctor wrapped all my fingers. It was classical standard wrapping, and the doctor has more than 20 years of experience in LE. Do you think Mollelast white bandage or beige bandage should be less tight? I think white bandage wasn't tight. Maybe it needs to put beige bandage that goes near the thumb less tight , ot to put it the way base of the thumb hase more space/is more uncovered?Any ideas welcomed. I have 3 more sessions at the doctor's in next 3 days and that' all I'll have in the next months. I need to solve this immediatelly.

• lanna1
    edited June 2023
    Options

Doctor wrapped me today different way and it happened again. Could it be because beige bandages on hand are too tight?

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    Options

Lanna—the bandages should not be tight, and in my experience none of the short-stretch bandage (beige) is wrapped on any fingers. Only the Elastomull bandage (white) is applied to the fingers. Check out this MD Anderson instruction video.