Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

oncotype dx 26, er/pr+ her2 negative refusing chemo

Options

Wonder if anyone had a recurrence with or without chemo?

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 884
    Options

Some people with that profile will have had a recurrence and the rest will not. No treatment can guarantee there will be no recurrence. I had an oncotype of 24, just below the score where chemo is recommended. My MO said he would support whatever I decided since there is no magic wall at the cutoff point. I did not do chemo since I was 69 but probably would have if I were ten years younger.

• thec
    thec Member Posts: 12
    Options

I am IDC, right, stage 1Tc 1.5 cm, er/pr+ her2 neg 1 micromet. I am strongly leaning towards no chemo for only a 4 to 5% benefit. 79% of it not coming back versus 83%. I am wondering if I am not understanding something. Wish I was not in the "gray" area of the Oncotype. Difficult decision. I see the radiation oncologist today.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 884
    Options

It is a difficult decision when you are in the "gray" area. I had micromets in one node and lymphatic invasion. The statistics are based on large numbers of people so they do not predict what will happen to you. In your case given a database of thousands 79/100 did not have a recurrence without chemo while 83 /100 did not have a recurrence with chemo. Gather as much information as you can, weigh the pros and cons, and make a decision you can live with whatever happens. Since I didn't do chemo my radiation treatment was more aggressive based on the opinion that what had left the tumor was probably still local. I had a rare adverse side effect from rads because of a subclinical lung condition I was unaware of but I would likely have had a similar side effect from chemo. I still believe I made the best decision for me based on what I knew at the time. All the best deciding what to do.

• thec
    thec Member Posts: 12
    Options

thank you Maggie15