Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Biopsy 6/30

Hello, I’m new here. I had my first screening mammogram on 6/12 and was recalled. I had a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound today, 6/23, and my results are below. They scheduled me for a biopsy on 6/30. I’m a little freaked out.

BIRADS CATEGORY 04-SUSPICIOUS FINDING-Biopsy Should Be Considered    ********

ORIGINAL REPORT ********   ULTRASOUND RIGHT BREAST, LIMITEDRIGHT DIGITAL

MAMMOGRAM ADDITIONAL VIEWS HISTORY: Recalled for right breast mass COMPARISON: Screening mammogram dated 06/12/2023 

PARENCHYMAL PATTERN: There are scattered areas of fibroglandular density.

FINDINGS:
MAMMOGRAM:Additional evaluation was performed for right breast mass, noted onscreening mammogram dated 06/12/2023. On the current study, there is an equal density oval mass with obscured margins in the posterior third of the upper outer quadrant of the right breast

ULTRASOUND:Targeted ultrasound was performed of the right breast to evaluate the mammographic mass, demonstrating an oval parallel hypoechoic mass with indistinct margins measuring 0.8 x 0.4 x 1.4 cm at 10:00 10 cm from the nipple. 

IMPRESSION: Low suspicion 1.4 cm mass in the right breast at 10:00. Recommend ultrasound-guided core needle biopsy.

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,549

Hi @cpommy and welcome to our community at Breastcancer.org!

We're so sorry for the worries that bring you here, but we're so glad you've found us. You're sure to find our community a wonderful source of advice, information, encouragement, and support — if it turns out you need it.

We know right now you're very worried, but try to remain calm and positive until the biopsy results come in. Remember, in the US, 80% of biopsies come back as benign, so try to have some comfort in that.

Let us know how the biopsy goes and keep us posted on the results! We'll be thinking of you!

—The Mods

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 828

@cpommy Hi , Sorry you're feeling stressed, we all understand. So remember this was your first screening mammo and their is nothing to compare it too. Breast tissue can look very busy especially when we are younger. Radiologist's sometimes don't have a choice but to ask for further imaging and bippsy to prove benign. This is stated as low suspicion so that's a good thing. I know it's still nerve wrecking but nothing has been proven yet. Most breast biopsies approx 80% are benign.

In the meantime keep yourself busy as possible and think positive. Always hope for the best. Best wishes and good vibes for a negative result.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 748

Birads 4, especially when it specifically notes 'low suspicion' basically means that the doctor does not think it's cancer but wants a biopsy to definitively rule it out. It's a good practice to be cautious since in the past, too many younger women's cancers were missed. The downside is that it raises anxiety when truly most of the time it is fine.

If this comes back benign, your medical team will have more info about your breasts and be able to use that to help inform future screening and radiology, which is great and can help minimize 'extra' procedures.

If this comes back not benign, your medical team will have caught it small and early and you'll likely have an excellent prognosis.

This is stressful but the odds are very much in your favor. Hang in there!