Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Fatigue after surgery

Options

A month ago I had a lumpectomy. The surgical pathology report indicates it turned out to be a larger mass and more aggressive than first thought. I declined radiation and hormone treatment. My particular type of cancer does not respond to chemo (pure mucinous cancer).

Prior to surgery I went into "training" to be as strong as possible for when I came out the other side of the cancer surgery.

So here I am, a month after surgery and I'm weak. The kind of weak that offers only a little strength in the morning and everything for the rest of the day is downhill. Naps are frequent.

Is this common or should I be concerned that there is more cancer roaming around?

Comments

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 384
    Options

Do you still have regular appointments with your oncologist? Severe fatigue a month after a lumpectomy should definitely be mentioned to one. Chances are it's just stress or just a reaction to healing but it's not something that is super common I don't think so yes I would just run it by a medical professional to make sure they think it's just a normal side effect from surgery.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 876
    Options

Have you had your iron levels checked? I was told the same thing by my MO after surgery and radiation. My PCP ordered the blood test and it turned out I had severe anemia which needed to be treated with iron supplementation.