Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

nipple sparing mastectomy

Options

Hi

I had a skin and nipple saving mastectomy 10 days ago. My surgeon placed an implant behind the muscle of the breast that had cancer and lifted the breast without cancer to match. I have incisions around the entire areola of each breast. While I was in the hospital, the nurses were concerned about the areola of the cancer breast. It was dark blue and after several days cool to the touch. But it warmed up and parts of it regained a pink color. About a week post surgery about half of the areola was pink and all of it was a normal temperature. I was heartened! But it seems to be losing ground daily now with some parts that were pink becoming a blackish blue. It is still a normal temperature and the skin is still soft. It does not look like the photos of necrosis that I have seen but I'm worried. Can anybody tell me how long the discoloration takes to resolve? I read things online about nipples returning to 'normalish' after 4 months or so (with conservative treatment, whatever that it) Is it worrisome that pink parts have turned dark again? Is there something I should be doing to help it along? (I am wearing a compression bra 24/7. I kind of worry that that is hindering the nipple's recovery)

Thanks to anyone who can share their experience

Comments

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    Options

It is been 3.4 years since I had this type of surgery and I do not recall all the details but I did have the same problem. The plastic surgeon warned me and when he checked, he gave me a type of cream to use it. It did resolve after a while (don't remember the dates). I would suggest you contact your plastic surgeon and tell him about the problem.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,971
    Options

Hi @hellodolly and welcome to Breastcancer.org.

We're so sorry for the concerns that bring you here, but we're really glad you've found us. As you can already see, our community is made up of wonderful members always willing to offer advice, information, encouragement, and support — we're all here for you!

We would like to echo what lillyishere suggested in contacting your PS to let him know what's going on, along with letting him/her know about the compression bra. He/she might have some advice about how/when to wear it to encourage healing, along with other suggestions to get blood flow back to the nipple.

Also, you might find this thread helpful:

Please keep us posted with what you find out! Sending healing wishes.

—The Mods