Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mastectomy after radiation - healing issues?

Options
hipstergirl
hipstergirl Member Posts: 2

Hi there! New to the forum. Was diagnosed with DCIS a year ago and had 2 lumpectomy surgeries (to get good margins) plus radiation. Now a year later, they have found Atypical Lobular Hyperplasia in my other breast. Looking at another surgery, possibly more?, heightened screening and probably medication for estrogen supression. I am 55, pre-menopausal and have dense breasts with some family cancer history but would probably not be considered high risk. I am contemplating a bilateral prophylactic masctecomy. I have heard that healing may be problematic if radiation has already been used (although my dose would be considered short course). Curious what others have experienced with respect to healing and recovery after radiation?

Comments

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    Options

@hipstergirl I've had two surgeries (reconstruction) after radiation and funny enough (not really), my radiated side, on both occasions, healed much quicker and so much better than the non-radiated side.

Hopefully, others will chime in and give you their experience.

I hope everything works out in your favor!

• bennybear
    bennybear Member Posts: 245
    Options

I had a mastectomy 8 years after radiation and it healed quickly without issue. When I needed to do the other unradiated side more recently, healing took a lot longer.

• hipstergirl
    hipstergirl Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks for that feedback! Sounds like I shouldn't be worried. About that anyway!