Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Creepy feelings on my numb chest

Options

It's time for my 6th month check up, again. It's been 3 yrs since my BMX. The chest wall used to be very numb. Didn't feel much when touched. 3 yrs past, and some sensory is coming back. I have some feelings now, creepy feelings when touched by someone else. My last check up in January was traumatizing. I left my check up crying the second I was out of the office. The breasts are gone I know, but it's still my chest. I still have a chest. Does anyone feel that way too ? Anyone understands what I mean ?

I also hate showing my flat chest for check ups. I guess I'm ashamed of it. Always make sure my tops are not showing my scars, not too low cut. Don't know how to get over that.

I love to lock myself in my room and go topless. It feels so free.

Comments

• obsolete
    obsolete Member Posts: 333
    Options

Hope, so sorry you've been suffering with unexpected feelings. We each deal with loss & grief of our former breasts differently after our surgeries. There are no wrong ways, correct methods & sequences. If your feelings are now manifesting in new ways, maybe the following article might help. Perhaps a good therapist could help you dig deeper in sorting out your feelings.

I join you in feeling free & liberated without. Wishing you peace....

https://psychcentral.com/lib/the-5-stages-of-loss-and-grief

• hangin
    hangin Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hello Hope2021 ~ I totally understand having had a double mastectomy last Fall. Especially when exposing my flat chest at checkups & how insensitive some (not all) medical personnel may be. I am here rooting for you! Wishing you the best of everything always 🤗

• sarahnh
    sarahnh Member Posts: 105
    Options

Hi Hope2021 and hangin - I have similar feelings, feeling totally fine/free about being flat when alone, but sort of self-conscious/uncertain socially.

I wanted to let you know, there are a couple great Facebook groups for ppl like us who had BMX flat/no reconstruction. There are lots of people in those groups (literally 10 thousand members although not all are active), sharing different perspectives, questions, answers, experiences, fears, insights, clothing tips, lots of photos, etc. Despite the number of members, the groups are simple, well-organized, and the people there are understanding and supportive.

Even though I'm not normally a Facebook user, reading thru the groups has helped me adjust, just helps normalize things for me. If you don't already know about the groups, I can post a link or PM them to you, if you'd like.

• hangin
    hangin Member Posts: 20
    Options

Hello sarahnh / hope2021 / obsolete ~ thank you so much for the referral to the links, that’s so sweet of you. Feel free to PM me anytime. That goes for others here in the BC community as well. And thank you obsolete for the PMPS article(s) Wishing you all the best of everything always 🤗