Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lump in mastectomy scar

Options
iriscernea
iriscernea Member Posts: 6

Hi!
I had a lumpectomy, at the age of 40, for Lcis in the right breast in 2017. In the same year, I had a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction because I could not control my anxiety. In 2019, I did lipofilling, after which oily cysts formed in both breasts.
Few days ago I had an ultrasound scan because a lump appeared on the scar tissue of the left breast (the breast removed prophylactically) which seemed more strange to me.The radiologist says that it is a hyperechoic nodule compared to fat, with benign features, very likely fibrotic changes and proposes an MRI in the fall, while the surgeon believes that it must be excised and that the chances of it being cancer are 50%. I'm very confused and I don't know which direction to take.
what do you think it could be?

thank you!

Comments

• laughinggull
    laughinggull Member Posts: 511
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hi iriscernea,

Sorry you are going through this scare. I would feel somehow reassured by the radiologist description of the lump as benign, but we know imaging can be very inaccurate. I would always go with the surgeon's advice, in this case excision. You wouldn't want to learn "in the fall" that the lump was cancer, and that it has been spreading, while you waited a few months to get an MRI, so the radiologist could take a better look. Right? Also why an MRI "in the fall"? Why not an MRI "today"?

I will be having an excision tomorrow, for a little palpable lump under the chest skin that doesnt show at all on ultrasound. The radiologist didn't recommend any follow up at all…"unremarkable exam". However, this is a palpable lump in a typical area of cancer recurrence, the surgeon cannot guarantee, based on examination, that it is benign, therefore it needs to get out -or get biopsied, regardless of what the radiologist says. In my case, since the lump is so tiny, it will be an excision rather than needle biopsy.

Good luck with your decision and hopefully it will be benign

• iriscernea
    iriscernea Member Posts: 6
    Options

Thank you for your support! Good Luck tomorrow!
    Mine is also very tiny, The radiologist is convinced that it is only necrotic fat. He wants an MRI in October to see its evolution.
    Very difficult decision! I hope with all my heart that your result will be benign.

• laughinggull
    laughinggull Member Posts: 511
    Options

Thank you -I am a bit panicked but trying to calm myself down