Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Breast Ultrasound Findings

Options

My breast ultrasound showed 1:00 to 3:00 showing a oval hypoechoic irregular mass at 1:00 6 cm and it is highly suspicious for cancer. My surgeon seemed concerned and said it was a mass and we caught it early. He said a biopsy is needed. Breast cancer runs in my family and one of my family members had the same diagnosis and it was cancer. Can someone somewhat interpret these findings? I am trying to do research this on my own and have comeup with mixed answers. Thanks!

Comments

• maggiehopley
    maggiehopley Member Posts: 109
    Options

A biopsy is the only way to know if it is cancer or not; there is no way to tell from the ultrasound. If it is cancer, the biopsy will tell you what kind (DCIS, IDC, ILC, etc.) and whether or not it is hormone receptor positive or Her2 positive. This information will allow your doctors to give you the appropriate treatment plan.

Let us know how your biopsy comes out; we are here for you.

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 184
    Options

Hi livehealthy1. I’m also new here so I do not know how to interpret much of anything (yet) but I wanted to say I’m very sorry you are going through this. It’s a lot to absorb. I hope you get answers quickly and really hope everything ends up being ok!

I feel like I can appreciate your need to research and make sense of it, even if it’s impossible to get a diagnosis from research alone. I went a bit crazy with researching what little information I had from my ultrasound (my mass was also “hypoechoic” and “highly suspicious”). Research calms me in a weird way. Thankfully I found this forum in my search and it has been so helpful to me. I’m glad you found it too and hope you find it very helpful as well. I’m wishing you all the best with your biopsy!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,980
    edited August 2023
    Options

@livehealthy1 and @needs.a.nap, we are sorry you have to be here, but glad you found this supportive community!

@livehealthy1, how are you? Did you end up having a biopsy?

You may want to check out this link to more information about Common Imaging Questions.

We hope this helps! Good luck, and please keep us posted on how you're both doing!

The Mods