Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone have acceleration radiation?

Options

Hi, I'm new here. My biopsy result was DCIS stage 0. A lumpectomy was performed, my surgeon said no further surgery is needed. Radiation is next but the thought of five days a week for six weeks depresses me. Has anyone did the acceleration radiation? I could handle that to shorten treatment. Can we firmly request it or are we at the mercy of the radiologist recommendation?

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,021
    Options

Hi again @pinkrules,

Welcome again to our Community! We are so sorry for the reasons that bring you here, but we're so glad you've found us. You're sure to find our community an amazing source of advice, information, encouragement and support — we're all here for you!

While you wait for the ever-helpful responses of our incredible members, we wanted to share some articles you may find helpful:

We hope this helps! Please keep us posted with what your doctor has to say.

—The Mods

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 283
    Options

@pinkrules - sorry you’ve had to join us on this forum, but I’d like to extend a warm welcome. I had 5 sessions of accelerated partial breast irradiation. This was per my RO although she did not explain the rationale for the accelerated treatment. It may have been my age (63 at diagnosis), or that I was only Stage 1 or that it was at the height of Covid in January 2021. I tolerated it very well. So far I am doing well, although honestly I haven’t had a mammogram in 2 years (long story 😞). It would certainly be worthwhile asking about accelerated treatment.

Best of luck.

• dsc
    dsc Member Posts: 50
    Options

hello! I was given the choice of 19 long course or 6 short course, more intense radiation treatments. I chose 6 and completed treatment last Wednesday. I’m still in the delicate stage where skin issues can develop, but I’m very happy to not be going to the cancer centre again this week and next! ! Wishing you the best.

• hannavas1
    hannavas1 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I just completed 5 days Friday 9/1/23 with an additional 4 boosts to the surgical site at Stanford. The 4 boosts because it was 3.3 cm and aggressive. So far I am ok, skin is fine, a few mild, random pains now and then, but totally tolerable. The US is slow to get on board with this. The UK has been offering this treatment for awhile.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,021
    Options

@hannavas1 - We just wanted to drop a note to say hi and welcome to our incredible community! We're sorry you have to come here, but really glad you found us and shared your experience. Let us know if you have any questions for us. We're always here!

Sincerely,

The Mods

• pinkrules
    pinkrules Member Posts: 97
    Options

Thank you everyone. Still trying to figure out how to post here. lol My radiologist gave me five options to choose from. It was very empowering. No radiation, accelerated partial 5 day or full breast, 15 day partial or full breast. I chose 5 day partial. Had three treatments already and doing great. Again, thank you everyone for your well wishes!

• simpop7
    simpop7 Member Posts: 8
    Options

@pinkrules Can you share more about your diagnosis and treatment? I am Trying to decide on radiation and no one has offered the partial or accelerated option tho I’m in a grey zone of even getting radiation.

• pinkrules
    Options

Hi simpop! Here's what my biopsy report said.

DIAGNOSIS:

1. Right breast, lumpectomy:

- Ductal carcinoma in situ, grade 2, small foci ranging from 0.1 to 0 .3 cm

But the surgeon said I had stage 0. I don't know the difference honestly. Because of my age, 67, I had a choice of no radiation or radiation including partial accelerated (only five days). I chose to have partial accelerated radiation to rest my mind. It honestly was a breeze, no problems or pain. A little darkness. I applied Aquaphor 3-4 times a day. A little tired but not what I thought it was going to be. I was so stressed out for nothing! Today was my last day of radiation!

• pinkrules
    Options

PS. Ask your radiologist your options and if you're a candidate for partial accelerated. I look at it as a reassuring boost although I had a choice not to have radiation because of my age and early breast cancer.

• simpop7
    simpop7 Member Posts: 8
    Options

@pinkrules congratulations on your last radiation session! I’m sure you feel so relieved.

When I asked about my options, they didn’t really seem to give me any. Other than to do it or don’t do it I will pursue this again one of the reasons they want to give me radiation is because of my age, I’m 45 if I was older, they said they wouldn’t offer it to me. I also had a micro metastasis in one lymph node. This is where the gray zone lies. So though I might have some benefit from radiation, it’s uncertain to say how much.

• pinkrules
    Options

Thank you so much for the congratulations, Simpop! Tomorrow I see an oncologist in the same breast cancer facility to discuss hormonal treatment. Wow, it unfortunate you are in a situation that doesn't go into detail or even seem to know about your radiation options. I'm so sorry, we don't need more worries. Where I went, one of Summit Health's centers, they have all new up to date radiation equipment. My radiologist said when she was an intern, partial breast acceleration wasn't even being performed yet. A lot has changed, thankfully. Please keep the forum updated! Ask right out about this treatment. If not satisfied, and if possible, go elsewhere? The radiation while I was on the table was only five minutes long! I was in and out. Setting up my position on the table did take a few minutes too.