Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Women Treated for Breast Cancer Seem To Age Faster

Options

Comments

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 681
    Options

Ha ya think? I just don't get some of these studies sometimes…

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 337
    Options

i think its because the estrogen is suck out of us with treated meds

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 385
    Options

I agree with Cookie. We wasted money on researching this? Of course we age more. We're deprived of estrogen which is a hormone that women need in varying amounts depending on their age to thrive. Most of us figure out how to manage and even do quite well without it but there's not really a substitute. We just hope we can mitigate the damage due to lack of it.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,791
    Options

I understand what several of you have said about the waste of money this is but, in order to reach a data driven conclusion, scientific research needs to be done. Anecdotes, no matter how plentiful or obvious, don’t equal data and data, not anecdotes, drive funding and development of new drugs and treatments. Anecdotes simply don’t do that until… they are gathered together in a science based process and then become data.

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 201
    Options

No shit, Sherlock.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 883
    Options

It was interesting that radiation increased biological age more than HT or chemo. I was in a clinical trial which investigated how much different cancer treatments decreased COVID immunity. Radiation was way worse than anything else which surprised me; I would have guessed chemo. Studies like this may lead to more toxic treatments being recommended less often if there is a choice.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

I would read this, but I still have some technical problem with all the site's linked articles. I reported it months ago, but it persists.

Since I can't have an informed opinion on the article, I'll just say, yeah, I aged about 10 years during my year of treatment. What's news about that?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    Options

@mountainmia We'd love to help you out with the problem you're having. Could you send us a PM and we'll see what we can do?

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

@moderators I have already submitted this as a technical problem, long ago. It apparently hasn't risen to the top as something the tech team can handle.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    Options

@mountainmia Oh you must not have seen our PM addressing this issue on May 31:
    Hi again @mountainmia,

We wanted to see if you're still seeing the issue with the main BCO pages not loading? Our tech team cannot reproduce, which makes us suspect it might be browser specific. We are still looking into this though!

In the meantime, if you're still seeing the issue, can you try the following?

In addition, you may find this video helpful:

We hope this helps. And as always, feel free to send us PM to make sure we see your messages. Thanks!

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 210
    Options

I guess I look at the as something we all knew was happening to us individually, yes, I've aged. So, now they know for sure, we have. And what can they do about it? Please just keep working on finding a cure.

I was out with my gf's ages 45-59 and we were getting pedicures. One of the people there asked me if one of my friends was my daughter….ummm. nope. she's 7 years younger than me. I am the only one in the group that has let their hair go grey, but sheesh…