Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

BRCA2 but no family history of breast cancer

Options
jj42
jj42 Member Posts: 1
edited August 2023 in Genetic Testing

So my Mum had peritoneal cancer and found out she had the BRCA2 alteration. That's how I have just found out that I have inherited it through genetic testing.

We have no history of breast cancer in the family as far as we know, however the Dr's told my mum that they could see that her cancer had developed from her ovaries when they did her hysterectomy.

Ive done some research on the genetic mutations and seen the statistics, but I am unsure about what to do next. I can have a mastectomy or screening and they recommend I have my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed. I am 41 and have had all my children.

After seeing what happened to my mum during her chemo, I certainly want to try and prevent that happening to me, but I am unsure about whether to have surgery or not.

Is anyone in a similar situation that can offer any advice?

Tagged:

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

Hi @jj42, and welcome to Breastcancer.org.

We're sorry for the concerns that bring you here, but we're really glad you've found us. You're sure to find our community a helpful resource and source of support — we're all here for you while you navigate your care and decisions.

While you wait for some responses from our incredible members, we wanted to share with you this page on What to do if you test positive for a genetic mutation.

We hope this helps and if we can help you with anything else, please let us know!

—The Mods