Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Multiple areas - BIRADS 4

Options

My MRI report has come back with 4 areas that need a second ultrasound look. BIRADS 4. Does it mean it's pretty serious?

I have LCIS and family history.

Comments

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 384
    Options

Birads-4 could be anywhere from 10% to 90% malignant so no I wouldn't call that serious. Hopefully an ultrasound will clear the questions right up.

• maggiehopley
    maggiehopley Member Posts: 109
    Options

I had 3 areas birads 5 and two birads 4. Both birads 4 were benign (as was one of the birads 5, but that's less common).

• tianhongchanchan
    tianhongchanchan Member Posts: 13
    Options

thank you so much for the positive notes! I’m not afraid of getting all the biopsies, but more afraid of the waiting and bad news. It’s likely I’ll have biopsies in all four areas. Sigh… what benign findings could be MRI Birads 4?

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 881
    Options

There are many benign conditions that could show up as birads 4. The biopsies can also identify these so the appropriate course of action can be taken. Of course, you'll have to wait for the pathology results after the biopsies are taken. Hang in there!

https://www.breastcancer.org/benign-breast-conditions

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,787
    Options

tianhongchanchan,

Whenever someone has a concern about something seen on imaging and they ask what other findings can there be (besides cancer) here is my response. I am not a doctor nor do I have any medical expertise so asking me, or anyone else, to venture a guess seems just speculative . If doctors cannot tell what it is without a biopsy, how could any of us presume to even guess? Waiting is nerve wracking but a biopsy will offer more (but not maybe all) definitive details and allow you and your doctors to determine the next steps.
    If I can offer one tiny bit of advice, it’s don’t get ahead of the facts that you already know. Not an easy thing to do but worth cultivating. Take care

• tianhongchanchan
    Options

thank you for the help! Also wondering if anyone has done so many core biopsies at the same time? It must hurt!

• trishyla1
    trishyla1 Member Posts: 50
    Options

I did have two in one breast and one in the other during the same visit. Unfortunately, mine all turned out to be cancer. Even with all the biopsies, they still found more cancerous tumors during my bilateral mastectomy. I ended up with seven distinct tumors, with five kinds of cancer, across both breasts.

That being said, my situation is very unusual. My surgeon called me her unicorn. Lucky me.

• tianhongchanchan
    Options

thank you for sharing your experience! I guess I’ll have to wait for the biopsies and see. Keeping fingers crossed!

• tianhongchanchan
    Options

So I went to the ultrasound, but they didn't see anything in the three suspicious areas discovered by MRI. Now they suggested me go get the MRI done again next month to see if any of the enhancements disappear…

Have you ever had this problem before? Is it safe to wait for another month for the MRI done? I was wondering why they didn't do the MRI guided biopsy…