Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

September 2023 Surgery Support

Options
moderators
moderators Posts: 7,971

A place for those scheduled for lumpectomy, mastectomy, reconstruction, or other surgeries to gather and support one another through treatment and recovery.

Comments

• sdgirl619
    sdgirl619 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello. New here and my first time posting. I had my BMX on Aug. 15th. Unfortunately my pathology report came back with 3/3 positive lymph nodes with extra nodal extension. My BS wants me to do a full axillary dissection. That surgery is scheduled for Sept. 14th.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,971
    Options

Hello, @sdgirl619, and welcome to Breastcancer.org! We are sorry you had to find us, but glad you did. You'll be in good company here!

Just in case you didn't know, we have free weekly virtual meet-ups over Zoom. This can be an opportunity to share and learn from others who may be going through similar surgery in real-time. More info here:

Also, this thread has a lot of useful tips from members about all things surgery: Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Wishing you all the best. Please, keep us updated on how you're getting on.

Best,

The Moderators

• kalla
    kalla Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hello! It's Sept 1, and I just got home from my bilateral masectomy and DEIP reconstruction today. I had my surgery on the 30th. I kind of feel like my body parts are all alien, but feel much better than I expected as far as pain and overall. I was sooooo nervous the last few days before the procedure, and it's so great to be on the other side of this part. Now it's just waiting for the pathology report to see what my future treatment plan holds. Anyway, I just wanted to thank this group for everything you've posted to help me know what to expect.

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 182
    Options

Hi @kalla. I’m so happy for you that you’re doing well! After all the anticipation, preparation and nerves before a mastectomy and then getting through it and getting home … it’s definitely an accomplishment!!! I’m very happy to hear you are home and feeling relatively well. That’s fantastic!!

I had my right side mastectomy with tissue expander placement on August 10th. The first week was definitely the weirdest week of my life for that alien feeling until one morning I woke up and felt completely normal, like my brain finally accepted the very odd looking and feeling new body part. I hope you heal well and stay in great spirits!!