Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

This may help some financially

This is good info, if not for current or future needs.

I was diagnosed with stage 4 denovo mbc in 2018. I was fortunate enough to access BCCP Medicaid. That paid for all my treatments and meds. In May I turned 65 and was signed up for Medicare (really I didn't sign up for it, they just put me on it.) My Medicaid is gone at the end of this month. As we all know treatment co-pays can be shattering. Because I was given Medicare in May, I am still in an IEP an "Initial Enrollment Period". It is at THIS TIME, within 6 months of receiving Medicare, sign up with a Plan G MEDIGAP PLAN. It is handled by private insurance companies. During IEP they have to sell you a policy NO QUESTIONS ASKED. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I was able to enroll in one, that takes effect Nov 1, as my Medicaid ends. It's $163. a month but covers 100% of my copays. If I had not signed up NOW in my IEP, I could and probably would have been turned down. Medicare also offers this too I believe for a bit less. This is a lifesaving plan, for the fact that-as long as you pay, they cannot drop you. I went with Aetna. I hope this helps someone in our arena who is just going onto Medicare so they can take advantage of this one-time opportunity.