Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance for early-stage breast cancer?

Options

To be clear, I am not stage 4. I am currently on Tamoxifen and Verzenio after a stage 2b diagnosis, surgery, chemo, and radiation.

A recent CT scan indicated 15-20 lung nodules, largest 1.5cm, that were "suspicious for metastasis" per radiologist. Oncologist is concerned with the risks of trying to biopsy, so I will have a PET scan. In the meantime, she wants me to switch to Faslodex and Ibrance. I can't find any information that indicates Ibrance is approved for those with high-risk, early-stage breast cancer. I didn't find any threads for Ibrance on the earlier-stage boards. Does it seem like the MO is concerned about MBC? I guess I'm confused about the med change without any corresponding change in my diagnosis.

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 894
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi @nns121317 , I'm sorry that lung nodules have appeared. Has an interventional radiologist been consulted about whether a needle biopsy is possible? If not, a pulmonologist may be able to biopsy using a bronchoscope. The next option, which is when things get invasive, is a VATS biopsy or an open biopsy done by a thoracic surgeon.

Since pulmonary nodules can also be caused by infection, inflammation or fungus a repeat CT is often done in a couple of months to see if any nodules are increasing in size. The scheduled PET scan can also provide additional information.

As far as I am aware, Ibrance for high-risk early-stage breast cancer failed in clinical trials. (can't get the link to work)

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/pfizer-s-ibrance-kisses-early-breast-cancer-hopes-goodbye-second-study-failure

I think you are wise to question whether this proposed med change is warranted without a change in your diagnosis. I hope you can get a definitive diagnosis and the appropriate treatment.

• annadou
    annadou Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hi

Sounds a bit like my situation only I had the biopsy and it was positive and therefore stage 4 It was done by broncoscopy

Surely you need a definite diagnosis before changing meds? Unless your oncologist suspects/knows/presumes that they are metastatic and getting you started on Ibrance and Faslodex

Ive been taking those meds for 3 years and scans seem to be ok so far🤞🏽

wishes for best possible outcome

Anna