Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Sclerosing adenosis

Options
blac6789
blac6789 Member Posts: 2
edited November 2023 in Benign Breast Conditions

Hi everyone I'm looking for some advice. I'm an American who lives in Mexico. In may I went for a 3d mammogram and they found suspicious lumps in both breasts and did 2 immediate core biopsies.

Thankfully 1 came back as good and the other side they said had schlerosing adenosis which is benign. The doctor recommended getting it taken out but after doing some research and reading about it I was not concerned and though I would just monitor it. The doctor didnt speak great English so we didnt communicate much.

Fast forward to November and I try to get another mammogram to monitor it and the doctor is the same as before and she completely does not understand why I have done nothing and is pressing me that I must get this done and 30% of the time schlerosing adenosis turns out to be cancer she wont do a mammogram and wants me to see the surgeon and she gives me his card.

I talked to the surgeon now, his English is very good, and he says they always work together on this and its standard practice for them to remove schlerosing adenosis and they have found that 25% of the time it turns out to be cancer. I am skeptical if this is really standard procedure other places because all I read online says I dont need to do anything. I'm not sure how to proceed and I'm scared but also dont want to undergo surgery if it's not necessary. I wonder what the procedure for this would be in the USA and if I should get a second opinion or what I should do.

Please help

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 916
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi @blac6789 , I’m sorry that you received conflicting information. While sclerosing adenosis is a benign lesion it grows in a tissue environment that is favorable for breast cancer. It can also hide nearby cancer cells on imaging. According to the published information there is malignancy in the area 10 - 40% of the time.

The current standard of care is to perform an excisional biopsy (small lumpectomy) so that a large enough tissue sample can be examined. This is a change from the recommendation of surveillance which was the standard of care up until about five years ago. I live in a rural area of the USA where they were still following the old protocol. Two and a half years after finding a radial scar (small SA) suspicious calcifications appeared on my mammogram. It turned out to be a 3.2 cm tumor with multiple radial scars in the margins. The tumor never showed on imaging.

There is a good chance that the result will be benign but given my experience I would recommend the surgery. The advice to monitor can be found online but is out of date. All the best!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,043
    Options

@blac6789 We're just checking in on you to see if you've talked again with your doctor? @maggie15 gives great advice — having a biopsy of the area will give you and the doctors more information about what might be going on and hopefully peace of mind that all is benign.

Please keep us posted!

—The Mods

• blac6789
    blac6789 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks Maggie and mods, that definitely makes it more clear, I'll talk with the doctor again. I was hoping to avoid surgery but sounds like it's best to do it.