Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diep flap surgery after 10 year old implant removal?

Options
grammam
grammam Member Posts: 5
edited November 2023 in Breast Reconstruction

Has anyone had their implant removed and gotten the deip flap surgery?

Tagged:

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,989
    Options

Welcome again, @grammam! We're bumping this discussion for visibility, so you will hopefully get a few replies. Can anyone offer advice/experience? We appreciate your help in advance! Your participation is what makes our community vibrant and supportive. 💞

Sincerely,

The Mods

• nns121317
    nns121317 Member Posts: 110
    Options

I had immediate implant reconstruction after my BMX in October 2021, and I'm having the implants removed and going with the DIEP next month.

• grammam
    Options

Good luck withe your surgery next month! I am scheduled to have my implant removal and DIEP flap surgery in May.

• mtks
    mtks Member Posts: 61
    Options

Hello!

I had my explant done 6 months ago after 13 years. I am now in the process of DIEP flap reconstruction. Extremely relieved to have the implants removed. Explant surgery went well!I I can get back here after seeing my PS in several weeks and give you more inspiration and feedback.

• grammam
    Options

Hello -

I'm glad your explant went well. Good luck with the DIEP flap reconstruction!

• bythebay
    bythebay Member Posts: 17
    Options

Hello, may I ask why those of you are taking out the implants and going with the Diep Flap? I am in the process of making decisions. Thank you and best to you.

• nns121317
    nns121317 Member Posts: 110
    Options

For me, it was a pretty unique combination of factors. I was diagnosed during COVID, so implants were the only option available if I wanted a skin-sparing BMX - otherwise I probably would've done DIEP right away. But then I needed radiation, so one of ny implants was radiated. Both of my implants hurt constantly, and they were always cold - it was like I had ice packs underneath my skin. Also, even after fat grafting, I still had rippling and distortion, especially on the radiated side...it was just too much. I had my implants for over two years, and decided I just wasn't happy and wanted to try something else. I'm having some complications w/my DIEP due to the radiated tissue, but I don't regret ditching my implants for a second. They just weren't right for me.

• grammam
    Options

Hi -

I had a lot of breast pain and heaviness with my silicone implant in 2008 so had it replaced with a new silicone implant in 2013. Now that it's over 10 years old I am concerned about seepage. A MRI showed no leakage. I am hoping by having the explant and DIEP flap surgery there will be fewer issues and surgeries as I age.

Good luck to you!

This podcast was instrumental in my decision. It is in the RECONSTRUCTION section

Breast Implant Illness:What Do We Know Right Now?Frank J Della Croce,MD,FACS

September 17th, 2019

• teachermom4
    teachermom4 Member Posts: 47
    Options

hi, talk about timing—I am literally in the same position but haven’t made a decision yet. I’ve had my implants for 10 years and even though I am used to them, I just don’t want to have foreign objects in my body anymore.
    One issue that does worry me—the surgery risks. I feel a bit strange undergoing such a major surgery with no “real” medically necessary reason? I’d love to hear more about how you arrived at your decision?

• grammam
    Options

I am fortunate to have found a reputable Plastic surgeon who specializes in the DIEP flap. My hope is to get through this surgery and then be done with reconstruction. It seems like more people are getting the DIEP flap and are happy with their results.

This podcast has reconstruction options info that is helpful.

June 1, 2023

updated: December 2, 2023

Treatments for Implant- Associated Aanaplastic Large cell Lymplema

• mtks
    mtks Member Posts: 61
    Options

hello, I experienced too many symptoms for too many years leading up to that it was my implants making me sick. We all have a different chemistry and for me it was a definite NO more implants. So grateful for the DIEP flap. Still in recovery mode.