Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What do you hope for, however big or small, in 2024?

Options

As 2023 comes to a close, most are looking for something to be hopeful for in the new year. Maybe you want to enjoy more of life’s little pleasures. Do you hope to travel again or learn to do something new? Are you hoping to better accept your current situation and needs during treatment? Perhaps you are focused on taking each day as it comes and spending quality time with people who make you feel good, no matter what life throws your way. 

Please share with us your hopes for 2024 below.

Comments

• pinkrules
    pinkrules Member Posts: 97
    Options

I want to lose weight, exercise more, buy a treadmill for the cold winter months when not being able to walk outside, and reduce my alcohol consumption. I'm thankful for this forum, especially the search function, have learned so much. Merry Christmas!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,990
    Options

Thank you for sharing, @pinkrules ! We're all here to support your healthy endeavors in the new year and beyond. We're so grateful for you as well, and everyone here. Happy holidays to all!!

We're looking forward to hearing from others here. Please continue to share!

• doodler
    doodler Member Posts: 38
    Options

2023 had loads of surprises for me, none of which were the type you'd like to have. I had health-related issues, beat 'em, and now I'm waiting for an appointment with a surgeon in the new year. C'est la vie.

For 2024, I want to get a project done. Just one small project. Whether it's a book, painting a piece of furniture, cooking a new dish, whatever I take on… something fun. I'm notorious for unfinished projects. So I want a new accomplishment under my belt this year! Nothing outrageous. Just a small one.

At least I'm looking forward to something this year, that's progress from a few weeks ago. Hope everyone else finds a small smile-worthy goal for the new year.

• moderators
    Options

May 2024 be the year of finished projects for you, @doodler!

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 887
    Options

My hope for a new year is that I remain NED on ibrance and letrozole. That my husband stops having sever medical issues that seem to have no identifiable cause. And that my knee surgery goes as planned on January 8th. It was canceled last year in January due to my metastatic recurrence January 3, 2023. I have spent a year with pain unrelated to cancer.

• moderators
    Options

We hope that your hopes for the new year are realized, @brutersmom! Have you checked with the palliative department at your cancer treatment center? I know you said it is unrelated to the cancer, but perhaps they could weigh in and provide you with some options to alleviate the pain?

• brutersmom
    Options

@moderators I have talked to both the palative care Dr. and the orthopedic Dr. I cannot take anything stronger then Tylenol and Advil. Stronger NAIDS cause me stomach to burn and hurt. The meds i need to help stay on them interfere with Ibrance. Because I am so active they felt stronger pain meds or opoids were not a good choice at this time. Counting the days.

• moderators
    Options

Ohhhh, oof. That is a struggle, @brutersmom. What is the pain related to, out of curiosity? Would/could physical therapy or occupational therapy potentially provide some relief? We had one of our younger members with MBC in one of the Zoom groups mention that her neuropathy improved when she increased her activity, which was a surprise considering that pressure from movement activates the neuropathic pain.

Alternatively, would medical cannabis be an alternative that you'd be open to/have already explored for pain management?

• brutersmom
    edited December 2023
    Options

@moderators It is my knee. The miniscus detached in July 2022. Knee surgery was cancelled due to cancer recurrence. I had been to PT last year in prep for surgery and Because of the nature of the injury there was not much to do. My leg muscles are strong. I have continued to work out. I did have a knee gel shot last summer to stop the grabbing. I got cleared for surgery in August but had to wait until January because of the knee gell. The last few months I have been dealing with bone spurs rubbing tendons and hitting nerves. Walking any distance is the worst for causing inflamation.

We did discuss cannabis and I tried a low does with the maximum THC you can get legally over the counter in PA. Didn't do much but add to my sleeping issues from letrozole. My body doesn't like meds. Cancer is a challenge for me. I have had a neuropsychological reaction to Aromatase inhibitors. I wrote a post under palative care hoping to help the small % that go off the deep end on those drugs. It is called:

"Psychological reactions to aromatase inhibitors."

I am petrified of chemo therapy because when they gave it to my father in the late 1990's, the first does almost killed him. He lost the use of his legs and feet. Unfortunately I am my father's daughter. When it comes to meds. I often have unexpected side effects to prescription drugs.

I should also mention that exercise has been amazing for controlling joint and muscle pain of aromatase inhibitors. I only have one joint that hurts and that is my knee.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 386
    Options

A cure for all types of metastatic breast cancer.

• moderators
    Options

We, too, hope for this, @kaynotrealname. 💙

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 201
    Options

I’m hoping to go another year without horrible symptoms

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 754
    edited December 2023
    Options

Would love to see the Philadelphia Eagles get to and win another Super Bowl, however, that seems like a stretch right now. We won in 2018 right when I was diagnosed, and I am ever so grateful for that distraction!! I attended the parade 6 days post op!

My daughter gets married this year so there will be much joy as well as some tears as her father is only here in spirit. I hope I can remain balanced and accepting of whatever is to come. Signed up with a new primary doc for next year, but as more time passes my scan and appointment anxiety has lessened.

Hope that my sister remains stable way past my years.

Happy 2024 to the mods and to all!!!!

A shot from my beach cottage. My happy place. I was having a hard time one day working at the cottage since my husband died and left us with 4 walls, a roof, no electricity or running water. I looked out the front door and saw this eagle and I just sat on the step and watched him, and it calmed me.

• orangeflower
    orangeflower Member Posts: 94
    Options

I want a boyfriend. It's been too long.