Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cat scans - why?

Options

This is my third breast cancer. For the first two, the doctors never suggested any cat scans. New oncologist said she would usually recommend scans to make sure everything else is ok and I said sure. Now I am concerned why they are suggesting scans this time. Does she think the cancer may have spread? The MRI shows a 5 mm non mass enhancement so not large.

Comments

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    Options

The first time around, I had every test they could think of. The second time around he felt the lump and I don’t remember if I had a pet CT scan.. this third time my tumor markers were going up from the blood draws. He did send me for a scan in June and I just had another last week. Yes he your MO is looking for possible spread that will determine how it’s treated this time for me. It’s in my bones and he says no radiation unless I have pain your MO is just being cautious

• vlnrph
    vlnrph Member Posts: 487
    Options

Not directly related to the question regarding CT scans, I wonder whether anyone has suggested genetic counseling. Your cancer center should be able to refer you, instead of simply jumping into testing via an internet website. If something is found, you’ll want a comprehensive explanation in order to understand the impact on other family members, etc.

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 200
    Options

@jonib since you keep having recurrences it seems reasonable that they would want to scan to see if there is spread to any other part of your body. I’d totally do it in your place.

• jonib
    jonib Member Posts: 94
    Options

@vlnrph I have had genetic testing twice. I don’t have any known breast cancer gene. @AJ I wrote to the doctor and she said it was a formality and given the characteristics of the cancer it’s probably not necessary and it was ok if I want to cancel. That made me feel better. Will probably keep as my husband wants me to. Thanks everyone for responding.