Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What counts as "active treatment"?

What counts as "active treatment"? I'm honestly asking, since I am in that weird liminal zone between "done with surgeries" (I hope), but "still taking meds."

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,648

I have not given this much thought but I would think that any treatment is active treatment. Whether you’re in the midst of chemo or taking anti-hormonals, you are treating bc. I doubt that there’s a hard and fast definition for active in terms of treatment but is there a reason that this has some importance to you?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,685

Hi @saltmarsh! Our main site has an article that might give you some insight into active treatment. You can check it out here: Beyond Treatment: Expecting More From Your Follow-Up Care (After active treatment for breast cancer ends, navigating ongoing care and support can be a challenge.)

Hope it helps!

The Mods

• moderators

Also, @saltmarsh, many of our members consider "active treatment" as the treatments initially after a breast cancer diagnosis — surgery, radiation, chemotherapy — and "passive treatment" as the treatments that are more long-term after active treatment — such as hormonal therapy or targeted therapy.

We hope this helps!

--The Mods

• exbrnxgrl

mods,

Is there a formal definition of active treatment or is what you outlined a casual distinction?

• moderators

@exbrnxgrl This is not a formal definition, but how we distiguish our non-MBC Zoom Meetup members between the In Treatment meetup (active treatment) and the Bonded by Breast Cancer meetup (passive treatment).

We hope this helps.

—The Mods

• exbrnxgrl

Thanks! So what you’re saying is that there is no medical definition of the term but rather an informal distinction that has been made on bco?

• moderators

Yes, correct.

• maggiehopley
    maggiehopley Member Posts: 97

I considered my time on targeted therapy- Kadcyla- as active treatment, because it required trips to the infusion center, regular bloodwork, and a visit with the oncologist every infusion. Now that I am only on anastrozole, I consider myself no longer in active treatment. I don't need my bloodwork monitored, I take my meds at home, and only see my MO every six months, so she's not actively treating me.