Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What does this letter mean?

Options

Hi all,

While breastfeeding my kid, I've had some weird lumps, and an indent appear. It spurred a docs visit which led to 2 ultrasounds over a year, and both showed nothing. I'm a worrier, so my doc sent me to a surgeon. The surgeon sent me for an MRI and mammogram. I did the MRI first and it came back clear. A month later I went for the mammogram. I only breastfeed my child before bed now, so I still have a bit of milk in my breasts. Anyways, I got a letter in the mail thar states "Your mammogram showed a finding that requires additional imaging studies.. Your mammogram shows your breast tissue is dense." Now here's where I'm confused. Is this the finding?! Or is there something else they "found" but just not stated in the letter. This is my first mammo, but I've got ultrasounds and an MRI on file. I'm just spiraling. Its the worst to recieve a letter in the mail on a Saturday night with no way for me to reach anybody. Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 883
    edited February 4
    Options

Hi @hopingforthebest1991 , Mammogram and other radiology reports usually reference just the image being reported on unless there is another of the same type in the system to compare it to. If this is your first mammogram it means that based on this one screening additional tests are recommended for more information. This does not take into account the ultrasounds and MRI. Usually a mammogram is followed by the other imaging modalities since they show more specific detail. Since these previous tests showed no issues all is likely fine. Call the surgeon's office on Monday but you probably have nothing to worry about. All the best!

• hopingforthebest1991
    Options

Thank you for your reassurance. Do you think it would be worthwhile to obtain a copy of the report with the specifics? I'm hesitant only because I'd hate for it to spiral me further without a doctor there to explain it.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 883
    Options

If a copy of the report would be upsetting you can wait to go over the specifics with the doctor or the nurse. In my experience reports calling for more imaging don't present any conclusions (which is why they ask for more imaging!) When you call it might be possible for a nurse to explain the results over the phone