Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Taxol plus Perjeta Therapy - what's you're experience?

Options
theresasv
theresasv Member Posts: 7

I am looking to connect with anyone who has gone through Taxol plus Perjeta Therapy. I am being prescribed this as a preventative of recurrence of Invasive ductal carcinoma stage 1. I have huge concerns about the side effects of these drugs and would like to know what others experiences have been.

Thank-you!

Theresasv

Comments

• maggiehopley
    maggiehopley Member Posts: 109
    Options

I had taxol, herceptin, and perjeta. I had the taxol weekly for twelve weeks, with the herceptin and perjeta every three weeks. I did lose my hair but it didn't start until after week 4 and the hair loss was very gradual. I wasn't bald until about week 9. It started growing back quickly. The perjeta gave me some mild diarrhea, and I had a lot of fatigue and queasiness (no throwing up). Some foods also tasted bad. I iced my hands and feet during the infusion and did not get neuropathy. Due to the nature of my job I took a leave of absence, but I was able to exercise every day, go to the grocery store, do housework, etc. I rested a lot and felt unwell, but not super sick. I attended my daughter's high school graduation and went to the beach.

Even stage 1 cancer can come back, and metastatic disease is incurable, so in my opinion, chemo is worth it. It's a few unpleasant months out of what you hope will be a very long life.

• theresasv
    Options

This is very helpful Maggie. Thank-you so much!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,977
    Options

Hi @theresasv, welcome to Breastcancer.org.

We're so sorry for the reasons that bring you here, but we're really glad you've found us. You're sure to find our community a wonderful source of advice, information, encouragement and support — we're all here for you!

When you mention "prevention," are you referring to preventing a recurrence of breast cancer? Many of our members feel similarly to maggie — that they'd like to do anything they can after their initial diagnosis to prevent recurrence, so they take their doctors recommendations. Have you discussed with your doctor your concerns about these medications and asked why this regimen is being recommended for your situation? In many cases, even if you're having side effects of the treatment, your doctors can help you manage those side effects so that treatment is more tolerable.

We hope this helps and we look forward to getting to know you here! Thanks for posting.

—The Mods

• theresasv
    Options

HI, yes when I refer to "prevention" I am referring to preventing a recurrance of breast cancer. I have discussed the all of these concerns with my doctor and he directed me to this site to help me do my research and ask questions. The decision to move forward with one or both of these medications is mine. I would be dealing with the Taxol for 12 weeks and the Perjeta for a year. As a person who is very active it is important to me to figure out how much this will change my life.

I am open to any and all feedback.

Thank-you all!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,977
    Options

Hi again @theresasv,

We've made an edit to the title of your thread in hopes others who have had Taxol plus Perjeta can weigh in with their experiences. We hope this helps!

—The Mods

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,058
    Options

Stage IV De Novo in 2019. I did Taxol and H&P for six months. I do H&P every three weeks now. I had my hairdresser give me a GI Jane buzz cut rather than have the horror of chunks of hair coming out on my pillow or in the shower. The stubble fell out eventually. I lost my my eyebrows and lashes and (horrors) my "short and curlies". Taxol didn't give me too many issues other than a bright red face the next day and some G.I. problems, manageable with Immodium. Perjeta gives me a barely noticeable rash over my eyebrows. Herceptin, occasionally, will make me feel "off" - not sick. I take Alpha-lipoic acid and B12 to keep neuropathy at bay. The dosage of Taxol is supposedly not as high as for early stagers so that may explain while I wasn't puking - or I was lucky!

Do what it takes to kick the cancer back. Take anti-anxiety pills if you feel like you are "all over the place", take meds for nausea. Try to remember to breathe (the hard part)

Be careful around people in crowds as your immune system is compromised by the Taxol. Wear a mask if you feel safer. Buy fun hats, or a wig. I hated my wig and got really good at wrapping scarves in a BoHo fashion.

You WILL get through this.

• theresasv
    Options

Thank-you Elderberry, this helps.