Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Winter/Spring 2024 Radiation Thread

Options

Gather here to share experiences, ask questions, get encouragement, and support others who are going through radiation therapy along with you.

Please share your diagnosis, any previous treatment you've had, and your scheduled start date along with your radiation schedule. We're all here for you!

Comments

• nycgal1111
    nycgal1111 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Starting next week, right breast, 4 weeks.. any suggestions or feedback is appreciated.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,995
    Options

Welcome, @nycgal1111! We know it can all feel very overwhelming, but we're all here for you. You've got this! THIS is a great thread with tips and tricks and suggestions from the community on how to prepare and what to expect during your radiation treatment.

Also, we want to let you know we offer very supportive, moderated Virtual Community Meetups. There are a number of different groups and times, so if you're interested, please check them out here: Virtual Community Meetups.

We’re here for you,

The Mods

• gracie_ibc
    gracie_ibc Member Posts: 10
    edited March 10
    Options

Hi @nycgal1111. I’m a week ahead of you; I started 33 rounds of rads this past Monday (March 4). It was a little over four weeks since my bilateral mastectomies, which were scheduled four weeks after finishing chemo.

Thanks for the tips thread, mods!

• ctlovesdogs
    ctlovesdogs Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello All, I am so glad I finally found a group to share and help with my radiation experience specifically and my cancer journey in general. A friend of mine who is facing round 2 of breast cancer told me about the group she found through breastcancer.org and encouraged me to try it out, so here I am.

I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductile Carcinoma back in July 2023. The cancer was aggressive, and my lump doubled in size in the 3 weeks leading up to my surgery. After my lumpectomy, which my surgeon described as a partial mastectomy because of the size of the mass she removed, cancer was also found in my lymph nodes, so I had a second surgery, a lymph node dissection. Shortly after the second surgery, I started chemotherapy, which I finished a few weeks ago. Today, I started my 6 weeks of radiation. My friends and family who know my journey thus far tell me that compared to chemo, radiation will be a breeze. I have mixed feelings about their response- guilt, anger, frustration, sadness. I don't FEEL like I'm on the downhill side of this journey, and I don't FEEL like it's easier… at least not yet. During and after radiation, I still have immunotherapy infusions every 3 weeks until the end of October. I wish I felt relief or satisfaction or progress, but I'm not quite there… yet. Thank you for this community and thank you for the tips and tricks! I will definitely be reading through them and looking into the virtual community.

• moderators
    Options

@ctlovesdogs, welcome to the BCO community! We're sorry to hear of your diagnosis and all you've gone through, but we're really glad that your friend told you about our discussion forums and you decided to join us! Additionally, we have virtual support groups specifically for members going through treatment. If you're interested, we encourage you to explore them here: Virtual Community Meetups. You can attend as many as you like. Let us know if you have questions. We're here for you anytime!

Warmly,

The Mods

• shrinkrap59
    shrinkrap59 Member Posts: 32
    Options

Hematoma resolved, and finally starting radiation.

• pearlyeve
    pearlyeve Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi I’m new here. Diagnosed with Invasive ductal carcinoma (Er+ PR+ HER2-) in February 2024. Had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy with clear margins and no cells found in lymph nodes in March. I’m waiting for results from the Oncotype dx before they start radiation because the chemo will come first if it’s determined chemo would help. I’ll find out the results on May 6th.

I’ve been offered the FAST Forward option of radiation. That isn’t first line protocol here in Canada. But according to the studies in the UK it has been found comparable in efficacy and the side effects to regular dose radiation are similar. In my case, it would be 10 treatments total of 5 whole breast with 5 targeted. Or with regular dose schedule 20 total with 15 whole breast and 5 targeted.
    I’m wondering if anybody here has chosen that fast forward option and how was the experience? What are things I should consider while I make the choice? I am leaning towards the Fast forward option.

• moderators
    Options

Hi all! Come join us today at 1pm ET to support one another through treatment via our Treatment Zoom Meetup! See you soon! Register here.