Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Share your stories of online support friends here: From the forums or zoom meetups

Options

Hi All,

We'd love to hear about the supportive relationships that have formed at Breastcancer.org.

Thank you All for sharing!
💜 Your Mods

Comments

• amel_83
    amel_83 Member Posts: 128
    Options

I made a friend here, and I'm really happy about.

She gived me useful tips and suggestions, and gived me hope in dark moments.

Especially in a period when I didn't really have a personal oncologist following me do to hospital staff change it was very important to me, and not to many friend to talk about, as no many seem to understand.

I also daily read everybody stories!

• ingridgilbert56
    ingridgilbert56 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I am in the opposite situation. I have a stressful situation with a friend and I really need some space from the drama. Once you say you have cancer people feel like they shouldn't leave you alone, even if you ask nicely.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

@amel_83 We're so glad to hear this ❤️

@ingridgilbert56 Yes, it really depends. A cancer diagnosis affects our friends, loved ones in such different ways. Some pull away (ghost), so go the other extreme. Hopefully you can have a conversation where that person can understand.

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 757
    Options

Getting diagnosed with breast cancer is an emotional roller coaster. Getting diagnosed with Metastatic Breast Cancer is the most devastating event I have experienced in my life. So many unknowns. I have found wonderful support on the Stage IV discussion boards as well as the zoom meetup i attend weekly.

My family and friends are supportive and care but no one really understands what we are going through like the other members of this site that share in the diagnosis. Besides support I have learned a lot of information about treatments, how to lessen side effects and also learn what new treatments are coming available. Sadly, I have also lost a few friends that I have met on here to this disease. This is the reality of breast cancer.

Having a safe place to come share scary news and good news makes this stage IV experience less lonely. As we use our "avatar" names on here it is as anon as you would like it to be. The zoom meetup is less anonymous, but I have met wonderful and supportive friends and look forward to seeing them each week - including the moderator who is amazingly supportive, nurturing and keeps our group together :)

• moderators
    Options

@aprilgirl1 - It means a lot to us to hear that you find support and comfort here and in our Zoom meetups. Thank you for your kind words. We're grateful to be part of a supportive community like this, especially during such difficult times.

The Mods

• kathrynw1thasea
    kathrynw1thasea Member Posts: 89
    Options

I have met so many amazing women in the Zoom meetings. I look forward to sharing their good news and supporting them through their rough days. If I can lighten someone’s grief, even just for a moment, I feel like I have contributed something to someone else’s journey. There are many days I need a lift and these ladies are such a blessing to me, many times without knowing it.
    I’ve actually gotten to meet some of them in person. What an amazing experience! We truly are bonded by breast cancer. We support each other in the meetings and in the “real world”. I couldn’t have imagined how this group would become so powerful in my life. I’m so grateful!

• moderators
    Options

We are so happy to be able to provide this service for you, @kathrynw1thasea, and grateful you have found such support and community. This post made our day!

Hugs to you!

—The Mods

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 653
    Options

I so love Mel’s living room for those with MBC. The support is tremendous, whether there is good or not so good news. Even though we are all separated by many miles, I feel connected like family. These women are the sisters I never had🥰.