Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mammogram recall

Options

I have been getting mammograms every 6 months for about 5 years now and every other time they use contrast enhanced dye. In all that time, I was never recalled for further diagnostic imaging… until now. I’m a bit stressed to say the least. How often have you guys been recalled? Has the outcome always been good? Did it end up being cancer again for anyone?

Comments

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 186
    Options

Hello @gryffindor86. I’m a breast cancer “newbie” so I’ve only had one mammogram since my mastectomy and my breast surgeon does an ultrasound at each appointment. No callbacks yet. Looking at the category you posted under, I’m thinking you have already had breast cancer once?

I don’t know how many get recurrences. But anxious concern over any and all imaging seems to be the “norm” for us. I’m sorry you are feeling stressed!! I’m glad you posted here … you’re in good company.

• gryffindor86
    gryffindor86 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in late 2018 and went through treatment most of 2019. The forums don’t seem very active :-(

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 186
    Options

Hi @gryffindor86. I’ve noticed there are some days and weeks where it seems very quiet here … not sure why. I get that folks may not stick around after they reach a certain point of recovery. And speaking only for myself, sometimes I’m just too mentally tired to put words together, even though I want to acknowledge someone’s post.

What type of breast cancer did you have, if you don’t mind me asking? I hope that whatever they spotted will end up being nothing concerning!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,792
    Options

gryffindor,
    Usually a diagnostic mammo is what follows a screening mammo if the screening mammo raises any questions. So the short answer is yes, and that’s what most of us have gone through since this confirms whether a biopsy is needed or not. I would venture to guess that almost everyone here who has been dx’ed has had a diagnostic mammo followed by a biopsy if needed.In the majority of cases, whether via the diagnostic mammo and/or a biopsy, there is no malignancy found. But for those of us who have been dx’ed, the diagnostic mammo led to a biopsy and it’s the biopsy that confirms a bc diagnosis, not a mammogram. The vast, vast majority of members who post about these concerns stop posting once they find out they don’t have bc and many never even return to let us know if anything was found. Why hang around a breast cancer forum if you don’t have bc?
    We all know how stressful this can be (we’ve been there!) and while I make no promises the majority of recall mammos turn up nothing. Think of it as simply getting a better view of what might, or more likely might not, be going on. Take care

• gryffindor86
    gryffindor86 Member Posts: 3
    Options

@needs.a.nap I had stage IIA right breast IDC grade 2 ER+ PR+ HER2- diagnosed 12/3/3018. I also have the lovely CHEK2 gene mutation.

@exbrnxgrl i do appreciate you responding to my post but it sounds like an answer to someone who has never been diagnosed with cancer before. I did mention in my second comment that I was diagnosed before and my post is under the topic not diagnosed with a recurrence but concerned. I don’t expect people who have never been diagnosed to stick around a breast cancer community if they end up not having cancer, but figured other survivors would still be here. I’ve already been told that the majority of recalls end up being nothing but my fear was that that statement is about the general population, women with no history of cancer. I came here to ask those that do have a history of cancer what their experience was, after their initial diagnosis, with recalls and if that majority statement was still true for us….I'm concerned its not.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,792
    edited March 23
    Options

gryffindor,

My deepest, humblest apologies for misunderstanding your inquiry.